Thread: Can you tell me what I have here? ...Newb

Can you tell me what I have here? ...Newb

Hello all. As you'll soon see, I really don't know what I'm doing. I went today to go buy what I thought was going to be a WASR AK47. I was surprised when I saw that M70AB2 stamp. Can that still be Romanian? I thought M70AB2 was Yugo? No? There's no stamp identifying a country of origin. It's definitely a parts rifle, but seemingly put together nicely. My intent was to flip it but now I'm thinking I may keep it. If I try to sell it, how do I identify it (Romanian, Yugo, etc)? I read that Romanians have 1mm receivers and Yugos have 1.5mm receivers but without anything to compare it to I can't tell by looking at it if it's 1mm or 1.5. Lastly, what do you think this was worth two months ago?

Thanks in advance for any help, I do appreciate it.

rifle.jpg

receiver.jpg

just centurys' M70 with plastic furniture.

keep it

you might need it soon.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

AIM had them a few months ago. I think they were $600 but I could be wrong.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogersNative View Post
    I read that Romanians have 1mm receivers and Yugos have 1.5mm receivers but without anything to compare it to I can't tell by looking at it if it's 1mm or 1.5.
    Micrometer is your friend. Available relatively cheap at a pawnshop near you(maybe).

Lastly, what do you think this was worth two months ago?
    About $600ish sounds right to me too. Think i saw them for around that much a couple months ago.

Of course, now they're worth about $6,778,545,359.99 thanks to all the dealers falling for the confiscation is coming tomorrow scare and pricing 60% of available buyers right out of the market.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You bought the wrong rifle which in my not so humble opinion (in this case) is you did a good thing. The Yugo is a much better rifle than the WASR, and most agree that is was one of the few that Century got right.

Personally I think that if you don't intend to enjoy it, and can turn it around for a good profit in today's panic, why not. Just remember that if you do sell it, there may come a time when you will not be able to buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    You bought the wrong rifle which in my not so humble opinion (in this case) is you did a good thing. The Yugo is a much better rifle than the WASR, and most agree that is was one of the few that Century got right.

Personally I think that if you don't intend to enjoy it, and can turn it around for a good profit in today's panic, why not. Just remember that if you do sell it, there may come a time when you will not be able to buy another.
    Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. In terms of me trying to sell it/describe it, what do I call it? It's based on a Yugo design but it would be inaccurate to say it's a Yugo, correct? Does the "DC Industries" stamp meant they built the receiver and CAI cobbled it all together? So in this case is clone the right word...do I have a Yugo M70 clone? Or is there no nationality attached to it at this point and it's simply a CAI M70? Perhaps it's irrelevant but I'd like to know how to correctly describe it.

imanaknut, what you say makes perfect sense. I want to sell now and I think (hope) prices will drop within the next month or two and then purchase it or something similar at that time. I bought this as a package with an unopended case (two 550 round tins) of Norinco steel core 7.62 rounds that are evidently worth in the vicinity of a buck a round. Paid $1250 and it sounds like I may have almost that much worth of ammo. Excellent.

These days with the import ban restricting that which shall not be infringed, calling it a Yugo M70AB2 is acceptable. I believe the reason that the Yugo M70 was one of Century's better ones is that they farmed the build out to DC Industries who did a fine job assembling the parts.

Personally calling any ATF approved AK/AKM/AK-74 variant a "clone" is wrong as a clone is an exact copy of the original, so it should be select fire, which it is not. These days calling it a Yugo M70AB2 is good enough. True it isn't a real Yugo, even if they made semi-autos for export because it has no more than 10 imported parts to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. All current model AK/AKMs for sale are variants and not the real deal, which is really sad for those of us honest Americans. Still, they were and are very nice variants of a great rifle.

Call it a Yugo M70AB2 built by DC Industries and sold through Century. If someone can prove more than that, let them.
    I agree that what you paid for the whole package can be recovered by selling the highly sought after Norinco ammo. You got a GREAT buy!!!

imanaknut, thanks again for the response and the thorough explanation. I am sincerely thankful for the help. I think I've seen here in Phoenix the prices come down a bit already within the past week and I want to hurry up and sell the rifle before the rush is over.

Since I got my M70 I've been doing a little research talking to people. It sounds like the DC Industries receiver is one of the best on the market. Supposedly Century is using new barrels from a company called I think Green Mountain. I don't see that the sights are canted and if they are it's so minimal that I can't tell. I haven't shot it yet but from everything I've read online it seems like people really like this rifle. I've seen very few complaints about either the receiver or the rifle as a whole. Further, I've seen a lot of people say that all that really matters in an AK is the receiver and that the barrel is OK. I think I have those bases covered.

My question, as a newbie, is why would I go spend more for something "better"? My only objective is to have a reliable rifle. Really reliable preferably. What would I gain by getting say an Arsenal? It's a thinner receiver but does have a chrome barrel. I don't mind cleaning my non-chromed barrel. I'm willing to spend more if I can see the benefit but at this point nobody has yet shown me the benefit. But there must be a reason that people have been spending extra money for years on the more expensive AKs. What are they getting for that extra money?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Well, I guess you'd spend more cause you're a newbie. I'm a newbie compared to most here, but, I'll
    throw my 2cents in anyways. I believe you've accomplished yer objective.

Extra money on more expensive__________________________.....fill in the blank with say Kalashnikov, cars, mo-mo cycles,
    homes, fishing rods & boats etc etc ad nausium ( i hope ya get me point )

What are they getting..... probably deeper in debt in too many cases.

I hope ya keep the Yugo ( I luv the underfolder ) & have all good luck with the performance of the rifle.

My first Kalashnikov varient was a WASR 10...followed by a NHM 90 ( or is it NMH ) & by far my favorite varient is
    a M70B1 kit from Apex....built by Eric Whyent (sp.) on a NoDak Spud receiver. Nice dude from Gunsnet suggested Eric for the build & I couldn't be more happy.

Happy trails to all!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    AIM had them a few months ago. I think they were $600 but I could be wrong.
    I had a M70ab2 it was ok I only paid 450 for it ....I seen a shop today with a shelf of these for 1k ea and about shelf of wasrs for 800ea

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    I had a M70ab2 it was ok I only paid 450 for it ....I seen a shop today with a shelf of these for 1k ea and about shelf of wasrs for 800ea
    I see them going on gunbroker for up to $1200 plus shipping and transfer fees. I'm surprised that prices haven't come down more given that it really doesn't look like there's going to be a ban.

Hard to believe what people are paying for something that isn't even what it looks like. A real AKM at one time in the sandbox could be had for a chicken and a loaf of bread. AKMs were designed as inexpensive, reliable homeland defense weapons. It is crazy what bans, threats of bans, and import embargoes are doing to the price of what was supposed to be an inexpensive select fire rifle.

As for prices coming down, they will only if the market gets flooded with new ones. People that paid these high prices are not going to want to lose their tails by selling them for half what they paid, so expect asking prices on the auction sites to continue to be crazy until the stores are well stocked and MSRPs are back to what they "should be". And I say it that way because in my not so humble opinion, a WASR-10 should be closer to $300 than $500.

** Contributor 01/2013 **

Since I got my M70 I've been doing a little research talking to people. It sounds like the DC Industries receiver is one of the best on the market. Supposedly Century is using new barrels from a company called I think Green Mountain. I don't see that the sights are canted and if they are it's so minimal that I can't tell. I haven't shot it yet but from everything I've read online it seems like people really like this rifle. I've seen very few complaints about either the receiver or the rifle as a whole. Further, I've seen a lot of people say that all that really matters in an AK is the receiver and that the barrel is OK. I think I have those bases covered.

My question, as a newbie, is why would I go spend more for something "better"? My only objective is to have a reliable rifle. Really reliable preferably. What would I gain by getting say an Arsenal? It's a thinner receiver but does have a chrome barrel. I don't mind cleaning my non-chromed barrel. I'm willing to spend more if I can see the benefit but at this point nobody has yet shown me the benefit. But there must be a reason that people have been spending extra money for years on the more expensive AKs. What are they getting for that extra money?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Both Yugos and Arsenals are fine rifles. Some people feel the chrome lining increases durability at the expense of accuracy. Just refrain from shooting corrosive ammo.

Shoot the gun at least 60 rounds of varying types before deciding to sell or hold. Even if you DO sell, the first thing the buyer will want to know is how it shoots.

Duh... I dunno is not the best answer.

I would recommend a bipod. It helps you shoot without bags and makes cleaning much easier.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I have the exact same rifle except it came with surplus Yugo wood handguards. Paid about $435 for it around 5 yrs ago.

Mine is a great shooting, accurate, robust rifle. I would not get rid of that baby, my 2 cents.

I see them going on gunbroker for up to $1200 plus shipping and transfer fees. I'm surprised that prices haven't come down more given that it really doesn't look like there's going to be a ban.

http://centerfiresystems.com/0215ad.aspx

paid 489 out the door for my century m70ab2 underfolder 5 yrs ago.
    I love it
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-16-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

M70's are nice rifles. Accurate for an AK, durable, and well-put together.
    If one WANTED to spend a grand or more on an AK, the Arsenals are great (I have two). The reason for that is that 5.56-caliber Yugoslavian rifles are tough to find.
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

RogersNative- you've got a beautiful rifle there. That close up of the receiver and PERFECT rivets make me jealous and excited about my upcoming build (on a Nodak Spud receiver). The rivets on my SAR-1 are all cracked, some on both ends, and one on the scope rail isn't even fully compressed. If I were you I'd keep it and find some original Yugo furniture for it (gas tube and grip).
    2003 SAR-1

Funny thing about your SAR-1 sti2relaxxin, it was the only true military issue AKM variant imported into the land of shall not be infringed. All others were commercial rifles. Attention to detail was not in the blueprint for the Romanian builders and although they were great rifles, beauty was and is in the eye of the beholder. That said, finding cracked rivets is very usual for the SAR-1, but again, they were not originally designed for commercial sale and the Romanian military probably didn't care as long as the rifle went bang when their triggers were pulled.