Thread: Best red dot?

Best red dot?

Hi everyone i have a wasr with a samson k rail model 1. My question is what is the best red dot to mount on the front rail right past the rear sight. Oh and i don't mean some expensive sight that cost more than the rifle. My main concern is the distance from my eye to the sight.

well you can't beat a Russian cobra not too essxpensive and designed for the AK

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Aimpont or Eotech. The rest are amature hour stuff.

The best is probably a Trijicon ACOG. The two suggested by Schuetzenman are both excellent also. If you are on a budget, look at the Vortex line of red dots.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

My question is... Is it a toy, or a weapon? On a toy it doesn't matter if it breaks, so whatever... if you plan on trusting it, Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon. Though the ACOG (I WANT ONE!) that TEN-32 suggested is a limited eye relief scope, and isn't suitable for certain mounting positions.

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    My question is... Is it a toy, or a weapon? On a toy it doesn't matter if it breaks, so whatever... if you plan on trusting it, Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon. Though the ACOG (I WANT ONE!) that TEN-32 suggested is a limited eye relief scope, and isn't suitable for certain mounting positions.
    Oh, good point. He did say forward mount. I would look at a Burris Fast Fire for what the OP is describing.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    I've only ever used the Aimpoint. Battery life was the only issue my soldiers ever had with those.

My permanent point man SGT O'Keeffe swore by EO Tech and mounted his own personal one on his rifle in Iraq. That's of course if you trust the word of an Irishman.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Thanks guys, these are all great sights and i have an aimpoint on my AR but i dont consider my wasr a (top of the line 500$ type of sight) worthy. I was looking in the 100$ and below category here. It is a backyard basher that i want to look and function good but i don't need a eotech or aimpoint. And with the way ammo prices are these days i don't think it will see that much time in the backyard either. I was looknig at a mini red dot, T1 clone, or the sightmark reflex eotech clone, something along these lines...my main concern was the sight picture with the distance from your shooting eye. My aimpoint on my AR is set close to the eye and this is more than double that distance. So anyone with one of these sights or the real version i guess i am asking which one is best from that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge77 View Post
    Thanks guys, these are all great sights and i have an aimpoint on my AR but i dont consider my wasr a (top of the line 500$ type of sight) worthy. I was looking in the 100$ and below category here. It is a backyard basher that i want to look and function good but i don't need a eotech or aimpoint. And with the way ammo prices are these days i don't think it will see that much time in the backyard either. I was looknig at a mini red dot, T1 clone, or the sightmark reflex eotech clone, something along these lines...my main concern was the sight picture with the distance from your shooting eye. My aimpoint on my AR is set close to the eye and this is more than double that distance. So anyone with one of these sights or the real version i guess i am asking which one is best from that distance.
    Probably this...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-f...nny-mount.html

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How about a Vortex red dot on a RS mount or a midwest mount?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...age&groupid=64
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/barska-m...tro-sight.html

I have one of these. Holds zero and if you break it or loose it, you hardly flinch.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

I run a Bushnell TRS-25 on an Ultimak mount. Co-witnesses with iron sights without a problem.

AKMS.JPG

Love this set up on my SAM7R ! RS Regulate mount and an Aimpoint Pro Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
    Love this set up on my SAM7R ! RS Regulate mount and an Aimpoint Pro Patrol

+1 for the Barska. It's cheap, but runs like a Timex.

If you want to go original combloc style the PK-A is a great choice. I purchased directly from Eastwave optics and mine shipped from Minsk. Came in a soft shipping container but was padded very well and came without an issue. The PK-A is older but works, its also one of the few that are actually issued (besides the Kobra and maybe the PK-AS?).

Armenian forces use the PK-A. http://russianoptics.net/PK-A.html

Stinkyrat