Thread: If I had to pick just a couple powders to load all my rounds with...

If I had to pick just a couple powders to load all my rounds with...

I know this is a question that will evoke many technical and philosophical responses, but given the current environment regarding materials supplies and storing up for emergencies/future shortages etc... what would be the best powders to buy to reload the broadest range of rounds. I'm starting to build my reloading supplies and I shoot everything from 9mm, .38spl/.357 mag, .44 mag (both 8'' revolver and 20'' lever), 7.62 x 39/54R, .30/06, 12ga et. al. Just trying to get an idea what some of you more experienced reloaders might choose as your "go to" powders for the broadest range of loads. I'm fully aware that these might not be optimal for every situation, and I could very well go through my Lyman's catalog and list out each suggested powder and see which ones hit the most range, but I'd like opinions on "If you could only choose 2 or 3 powders for the rest of your life, which would you stock up on?" Just something to get me started, and I can diversify my supplies as time/money/availability allows. Thanks!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You've got pistol, rifle and shotguns listed. You also have non magnum, and magnum handguns listed. There is no 1 powder that can do it all. Economic powder would be Bullseye or Accurat Powder's #2. Many shots per pound, high pressures so potential to overload is high. You have to pay attention to use these powders. For magnums Winchester 296, Hogdon's H110 or Accurate's #9 is good for the Magnums. For 7.62x39 Accurate's 1680 powder is da bomb. For Shot Guns red dot isn't bad. For your 54R and 06 rounds 4350 or 4064 powders would work. Good luck finding powder now, with the Obama induced panic it won't be easy to find any.

for what you listed.

Unique

BLC-2
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Interesting - I had in mind Unique and W748 (basically same as BLC-2).

Could go Unique, Power Pistol, W748, W760 too.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Well, i have used Herco in my 45 ACP in a pinch. Worked very well; very consistent (very little std. deviation) and very accurate. But talk about dirty, WOW!

As i understand it 2400 is good across several cartridges as well. I think a good idea would be to try and get down to 2 or 3 good powders for each class. ie. pistol, rifle, shotgun. (Even with this in mind there are a few that will cross)

I did some reading on the Red Dot or Unique being good for both shot shell and standard pistol rounds. It looks like the BLC-2 will handle everything from .223 up to .30-06. The 1680 sounds like it would handle the magnum pistols up to the small capacity rifles, so I think that'll get me started with my shopping. Thanks for the help guys!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I'm a relative novice at reloading and don't do shotgun. However, I use Unique for the pistol calibers and Varget for the rifle calibers more than anything else. Good Luck!

I like these powders and you should find instances of what your looking for in each. Check your load data and reference this http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Unique
    Tight group
    Hp-38
    Solo 1000

Power pistol
    Blue dot

Varget
    H335
    Benchmark

H110
    SC4831

If I had to, I could get by with HS-6, H110, H335 and WW-760

Probably IMR 4895 and 2400
    Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone and Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100 (Rifle), Member US Palma Teams and US Dewar Teams. US Army Test and Evaluation Command - Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director - Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, NRA Member since age 12, NRA Benefactor, Charter Member International Wound Ballilstics Assn, Life Member Gun Owners of SC, Life Member Palmetto State Marksmen's Assn, Eagle Scout, Bhd OTA, Shriner, FF1, AC4HT,