Thread: B West. Anyone have the real story?

B West. Anyone have the real story?

Just picked up a NIB B West AK 47, and have read some conflicting stories on quality and what caused the company to cease manufacturing them. This is my first AK and I am trying to learn all I can about it's history. Any help would be greatly appreciated TIA
    405491955.jpg

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The AKs imported by B-west and marked "made in china" are ok. It was the B-west USA made receivers that weren't heat treated properly and the axis pin holes for the hammer and trigger egg-shaped over time.

I believe B-west got into trouble because of the Bush the First evil feature fit. When he declared bayo lugs, pistol grips and other cosmetic items so evil that they caused honest people to become criminals, B-west tried to get by the ban by taking the imported AK variants, disassembling them and rebuilding them on their receiver and selling them as a USA made rifle. Not sure if it wasn't just public awareness of the receiver issues, or ATF overstepping their bounds (like they never do that) that caused B-west to go out of business.

Regardless, in short - Made in China = good, Made in USA not so good.

It is possible to spot heat treat the receivers of the USA rifles to get them into spec, and then reblue.

That's a nice rifle if it needs some treatment it would be worth doing.
    To add to the confusion I've read that some of their first builds were just fine.
    My only experience was with one i won on auction. Listed as a 56s pre-ban it turned out to be a B-West.
    Seller reimbursed me enough to make it worth while.
    It was like new beautiful shape but knowing the problems that may occur I didn't want it and listed it.
    The winning bidder was real happy with it stating it was one of the "good ones" planned on converting it, he was licensed to do so.
    How he determined that I don't know serial number maybe?
    Rule of thumb would be what "nut" said Made in China = good, Made in USA not so good.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Thanks for the info guys! This one will never be shot since it is a VERY low serial number(between 2200 and 2300) and is still NIB with ALL the accessories. Even the box has the serial number marked on the outside. It is a side folder with the brownish Bakelite furniture.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKR8PN View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! This one will never be shot since it is a VERY low serial number(between 2200 and 2300) and is still NIB with ALL the accessories. Even the box has the serial number marked on the outside. It is a side folder with the brownish Bakelite furniture.
    This would make it a made in USA by B-west, correct? Still a very nice rifle, and one to enjoy. I have a few that I will never fire as much as I would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    This would make it a made in USA by B-west, correct? Still a very nice rifle, and one to enjoy. I have a few that I will never fire as much as I would like to.
    Correct. This one was made in Arizona I believe. I found it hard to believe that it had survived unfired since 1986, and is still in pristine condition. The box shows a bit of wear, but other than that,everything else is in great shape. It shall continue to be a safe queen.

It's worth more as a collector piece than a shooter. There are some people who want to collect every single red rifle, and to that person, it has value, especially NIB. Don't shoot it! Go get your jollies with a lesser gun. (Not that the Tuscon, AZ guns are "good", they're just collectable.)