Thread: 30-06 Brass Sized to 25-06. Can it safely be sized back to 30-06?

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

30-06 Brass Sized to 25-06. Can it safely be sized back to 30-06?

I picked up some used brass from a friend who was moving overseas. Beautiful batch of 30-06! Cleaned it primed it, etc. for a couple of days. Something didn't look right. Checked it out tonight and he had sized it for 25-06, which I don't have. Is it relatively easy and safe to size it back to 30-06? If so, what would be the approach? Any words of wisdom appreciated. Thanks much!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Do the headstamps say .30-06 or .25-06? I've never delt with this topic of trying to go back to a potential original case neck opening size. I've necked cases down but never blown them back out again. I would suspect the greatest risk is the cases will split at the neck in your attempt to size them back out. If you try it I'd suggest annealing the case mouth and necks to soften them up. Next I'd suggest putting case sizing lube, (a tiny bit) just inside the case mouths to assist the expander ball of a resizing die to slip in there and not hang up and crush the case neck down into the case body. I would push the case into the lube pad to do this so that a uniform amount is deposited inside the case neck.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

so you did all this without sizing it? bad practice. even brand new factory brass should be resized before you load it.

good chance it will split if it was sized down and fired and now you want to size up again.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Of course it can be done. But I wouldn't do it. BIG chance of neck splits on first firing, even if you anneal it.

And MilSurp .30-06 is so cheap, why bother?

These cases would have to be fire-formed. There is no way they can be expanded to 30-06 with a die. Fire forming is a PIA process for a few common .30-06 cases. Fire-forming is done by annealing the necks and shoulders only. Load a small charge of pistol powder under a packed case of grits or cream of wheat. Place a wax plug in the neck. Hold the rifle muzzle up and fire. You will most likely need to wipe the bore very often. This will form the brass to your .06 chamber. Full length re-size and load a medium bullet-ed round. Then you should be able to use the brass for normal loads.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Gents, thank you for your valued opinions. Safety is a major issue here, so I'll trade to someone with a 25-06, and get some brass I can use.

Again, Thank You!