Thread: New to the group, new to AK's, looking for an AK to shoot at the range

New to the group, new to AK's, looking for an AK to shoot at the range

Hello everyone, I am new to this group and am looking for an AK to buy. I do not want the cheapest version and I do not want the most expensive one either. I want a nice middle of the road weapon. I am new to AK's. I am retired from the military and am use to AR's, but want to get an AK. I know there are basically three rounds for them: 7.62, 5.56, and 5.45. I want either a 7.62 or 5.45. I know there are machined and stamped receivers from many different countries. I also know they are in different thicknesses as well, I have seen from 1mm to 1.6mm. I want a gun I can modify after I get use to shooting it. It seems like all the aftermarket parts work on stamped receivers and not machined risers, so I probably want a stamped one. Which gun would probably be best for me. I was looking in the $600 to $1400 range. I have heard of some trigger slapping with some guns (SAR-1). Also what are the abbreviations, like AKM, AKMS, Ect.(Automatic, Kalashnikov, Modifed, ect.) I want a fixed stock, not an underfolder. I also do not want a gun that has no aftermarket parts available like the Century International Arms Centurion 39 Sporter that is machined in the Type 3? Style receiver. As I said, I am new to AK's, and am asking several questions. Like what is the difference between a WASR10 and a WASR10/63.? The three gun shops closest to me do not know anything about AK's, so everyone here is the expert to me. Where is a good place to buy them? Thank you very much, Michael Christensen, Richmond, ME

Well it sounds like you have made up your mind on a stamped reciever AK varient in either 7.62 or 5.45. Entry level ones are the WASR line. These make great shooters and with a little TLC can be made very handsome looking.
    You might want to find a SAR 1 (7.62) or SAR 2 (5.45) These originaly took the double stack mags and are very close to the original Russian AKM design unlike the WASR series which had single stack mag well but were modified to accept the double stacks. A good shooter SAR can still be found fairly easily and usaully is just a little more money than the WASR.
    Nowadays there are lots of aftermarket add ons and accesories for the AK varients that will work on the SARs, although be aware that most aftermarket accesories for AKs require minor fitting due to various manufaturing tolerances.
    Any trigger slap problems encountere are easily solved by replacing the FCG with either the TAPCO G2 or the fully adjustable Red Star Arms. While the Chinese AK varients are some of the best quality ones, subtle differances such as reciever thickness,barrel diameters, slant cut reciever rears make it a little more difficult to adapt many of the "modern cool stuff" to them, and no purist is going to rant at you for modifying a SAR.
    AK-47 -Automatic Kalashnikov year 1947 - denotes the original milled reciever AK in 7.62 X 39
    AKM- Automatic Kalashnikov Modified or Modern denotes Stamped reciever in 7.62 X 39
    AKMS is a stamped reciever folder
    AK 74 -Automatic Kalishnikov year 1974- is stamped reciever in 5.45X39
    The WASR10/63 was a single stack WASR with a dragonov style thumbhole stock and didn't have the 922r US parts (all romanian)

And welcome to the group

Thank you for the information. I was reading on AK-47.net that milled receivers are more accurate. I did not know this until I read that. It makes more sense since it is heavier. So I am open to any receiver type. I just don't want something that I will be upset with afterwards. What about magazine fit? This is another area I was reading about. I also understand that there are fit issues with aftermarket pieces. By what I have read recently, the Norinco versions are very good and Bulgarian or Romanian versions are also nice. Besides the Soviet versions. What about East German versions in 5.45? Price? Do all versions take double stack mag's? Are are their diffrences by manufacturer. As far as shopping goes, where would be some good places? I have seen Atlantic Firearms, J & G in Arizona, Krebs custom, Royal Tiger. Do not know of others. Any info to me is new and greatly appreciated.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

You mention Norincos and yes, they were really nice AKM variants, with heavier receivers than the standard European AKM and arguably the best factory trigger in any AK/AKM/AK-74 variant imported into the land of shall not be infringed. The trouble is finding one that is reasonable in today's crazy market.

The SAR-1 got a bad name because of the junk trigger installed by Century to keep ATF happy in meeting the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Other than that it was and is a great AKM. Unfortunately ATF decided that since the SAR-1 was imported as a true semi-auto AKM and then modified to meet the sporting purpose clause (no more than 10 imported parts), it was illegal to import as they determined the rifle has to be sporting before importation, so the single stack rifles were ok, but the standard mag-well of the SAR-1 was a no-no. It doesn't get much more stupid.

The easy fix with trigger slap if found on the SAR-1, or any AK for that matter, is to either modify the disconnector so it no longer contacted the trigger on recoil, or replace the Century fire control group with a Tapco set.

There are a lot of US made ones these days, mainly because ATF used import rules to ban foreign factory AKs, so even though it says say "Polish" on it, it still cannot have more than 10 Polish parts, and is most likely made in the USA on a US made receiver and possibly with a US barrel, which isn't a bad thing, but still you have to make sure you are buying one made by a quality builder.

Atlantic Firearms has a nice listing, but with the current panic, the likelihood of finding one in stock is almost like buying a winning lottery ticket.

As for mags, the nice thing is the 7.62x39 metal mags from any country are fully interchangeable with any rifle. They are all built to the same standard, so one from China or Romania will work properly in an Egyptian rifle. Nice.

I do wish you luck trying to find a good one at a good price. They are out there as many members across the web have reported finding deals, but you have to keep your eyes open, and your lucjky charm well polished.

+1 for the SAR-1. It is the only mil spec factory made AKM ever imported. You can configure it almost any way you want. It is an great shooter. My SAR-1 is the most accurate AK that I have ever owned and also my favorite shooter.

So are there any AK's that people would absolutely stay away from, and why? Bad construction, fit problems, not accurate, by that I mean greater than 4" at 100 yards. Feed problems, fail to eject, like I said I am new to AK's and any info is great! Thanks for all answers.

Been so long I almost forgot. Just say no to Hesse or Vulcan AKs. They were the same company with just a different name, but the receivers were pure junk. Also, any Made in USA receivers from B-west are suspect as well.

If your still looking and from your criteria this might be of interest to you.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/112717...an-norinco-84s
    NORINCO 84S $800.00 only one mag though

I've not used this site yet but others seem to have confidence in it
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

That's quite a find Otto!!!! Wish it was local!

Yeah I was surprised to see that.
    I've been nosing around there looking for some Norinco ammo in bulk.
    The best ones I'd actually consider are all "FTF only" and way far away.
    One guy had a case from Co. when I asked how much to ship he'd only sell like three boxes at a time for more than his bulk price.
    Oh well the search goes on

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Well I think that you missed the boat on AK's Romanians are at more than twice retail,
    a nice milled receiver AK like Arsenal twice normal, best bet is to let things settle down
    a little and see where prices go. If you really need an AK a SAR 1 isn't a bad bet.
    Just me and my monkey....

Thanks for the info, when I logged onto the web site, it said that particular sale was a scam. Thanks for the site, looks good. Another question for you all. What about AK-74's? Any thing good, or do you have to get a parts kit and buy a US made receiver? I know North Dakota Spud has them, but are out of stock.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    If your still looking and from your criteria this might be of interest to you.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/112717...an-norinco-84s
    NORINCO 84S $800.00 only one mag though

I've not used this site yet but others seem to have confidence in it
    There is a Norinco 40 round .223 on gunbroker right now...

Quote Originally Posted by michael christensen View Post
    Thanks for the info, when I logged onto the web site, it said that particular sale was a scam.
    Sorry about that.
    I just don't know about that place at least they alerted you.