Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best place for 7.62x54r?

Was supposed to be deivered today. About an hour ago, I got an email from UPS that Wideners had cancelled my delivery. Of course I couldn't get ahold of them by phone. Finally got through, then after ten minutes of waiting on hold. They hung up on me. This is their email response.

That label was created by mistake and your order should ship out within the next few days.

Now the ammo arrived close to me at the hub at 4:30 this morning. Bummer.

Just ordered a case from ammoman. They have plenty in stock. They have a 10 case deal. But it only saves you 20 bucks. Not much incentive to buy that much in bulk.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Sucks about the order from Wideners. I wondered when it shipped so quickly after they said it would be a couple of weeks at the time or order.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Sucks about the order from Wideners. I wondered when it shipped so quickly after they said it would be a couple of weeks at the time or order.

Well, someone does not know what they are doing as UPS just dropped off the case at the front door. As per their email

"That label was created by mistake and your order should ship out within the next few days."

I wonder if I should contact them...Just checked delivery confimation again, and UPS tells me that the order was cancelled....?

Was just in the gun room. Things are getting a little tight in there. Wonder. Will the stuff in the crate store well in a crawl space?

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Well, someone does not know what they are doing as UPS just dropped off the case at the front door. As per their email

"That label was created by mistake and your order should ship out within the next few days."

I wonder if I should contact them...Just checked delivery confimation again, and UPS tells me that the order was cancelled....?

Was just in the gun room. Things are getting a little tight in there. Wonder. Will the stuff in the crate store well in a crawl space?
    Might call them. They could have gotten some wires crossed. You don't want another case showing up.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The best x54r is Bulgy, Hungarian, Romanian and Russian; as long as it is made in the '70's or earlier. Later stuff has looser tolerances. I've shot it all; Russian, Bulgy, Hungarian, Chinese, Czech, Albanian, Romanian, Egyptian.
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Might call them. They could have gotten some wires crossed. You don't want another case showing up.
    Out of the many times that I did call. Only once did they answer. Then I was on hold for about 10 minutes before they hung up on me. If another case shows up. Well, then, more for me. I can cover the extra expense.

Just ordered a case from ammoman. They have plenty in stock. They have a 10 case deal. But it only saves you 20 bucks. Not much incentive to buy that much in bulk.
    Ive always had good luck with AMMOMAN Shipping is sometimes a bit slow. I chalk that up to east coast/ west coast thing. I did manage to find 80 rds of brown bear 185 gr at the pawn shop today. 40 bucks not the best price, but I want to try something other tan surplus in my Tiger.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've been getting a can of Bulgarian from Aim every payday. After shipping it comes to $101, and it seems to be staying in stock. If you see it out of stock, just check back the next day and it'll be there.

Now I just need to find some more 9x18.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I've been getting a can of Bulgarian from Aim every payday. After shipping it comes to $101, and it seems to be staying in stock. If you see it out of stock, just check back the next day and it'll be there.

Now I just need to find some more 9x18.
    The pawn shop I was in today had probably 20 boxs of 9x18 FMJ Id never seen this kind before was in a black box with white writing

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    The best x54r is Bulgy, Hungarian, Romanian and Russian; as long as it is made in the '70's or earlier. Later stuff has looser tolerances. I've shot it all; Russian, Bulgy, Hungarian, Chinese, Czech, Albanian, Romanian, Egyptian.
    I too have shot it all at one time or another. My rating is 1990's Russian 147 gr. milsurp was the best and tied by Yugoslav 180 gr. brass cased. Close to those was Hungarian silver tip light ball with a gray colored lacquered case. Bulgarian was so so, not real bad but not the best. Romanian was about the same as the Bulgarian. Czech silver tip is in the same catagory as the last two if it was made after 1960. Czech 54r made before 1960 sucks, lots of dead and hang fires. Albanian was not bad for accuracy if you could get it to chamber, there were 2 types; brass cased and lacquered casdsed. The stell lacquered Albanian was much better as it would chamber without problems. The brass cased was sold as Non Corrosive, it seemed to live up to that but a lot of Mosin rifles couldn't chamber it. The rounds had very thick rims and a lot of the problem with it was getting the extractor to ride over and engage the rim of the case.

Shot Chicom copper wased steel case a.k.a. Norinco and it was also pretty good but not overly fast, about 2650 fps more or less. Most lt. ball was between 2750 and 2850 fps.

BBT just dropped off the second case. I feel a little better now! Now if only the weather would warm up a bit so that I can go shoot!
    Last edited by El Duce; 03-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.

BBT just dropped off the second case. I feel a little better now! Now if only the weather would warm up a bit so that I can go shoot!
    Is that the case from Ammoman or a second from Weideners?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Is that the case from Ammoman or a second from Weideners?
    From ammoman. Looking forward to Saturday!

From ammoman. Looking forward to Saturday!
    Good deal. Me too!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12