Thread: Yugo bolt hold open mags

Yugo bolt hold open mags

I have looked on this site and others and have not found a thread covering my particular question. Or maybe I missed it, which is a possibility.
    Here it is: What is the advantage of using a Yugo mag that holds the bolt open after firing the last round? Unless there is a mechanism that will hold the bolt open when you remove the mag, that means the the bolt is resting on the mag itself. This could lead to binding when you try to remove the mag, right? Am I overthinking this? I have read that they are high quality mags, but my AK (and I am sure many of yours) can use most all mags with no problem. I have Crapco mags that have never given me any problems. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

On a side note, I have made some changes to my AK that I am very happy with. I know that most of us on this site are traditionalists when it comes to there beloved AK's and for a long while, I was of the same mindset. But I put a lot of thought into it a while back and decided to make some changes. A few years ago I purchased a Polish '47 underfolder. Very good fit and finish and I can put 4 out of 5 rounds, usually, into a 12" circle from 100yds standing unsupported. I put on a Ultimak Gas tube and mounted a Bushnell TSR-25 red dot site. Beautiful combo. I changed out the lower hand guard with a polymer dohickey that has short rails on three sides. Not sure I like it yet but I am already thinking of getting the Ultimak full length rail system in the near future. The only thing that I have not done yet is put a new finish on it and put it through an intense range session. Hopefully I can do both soon. As soon as I figure out how (do I have enough post?) I will post picks and all that I ask is that you are gentle. Thanks for your time.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The only advantage of the bolt hold open mag is to let you know you are out of ammo without pulling the trigger and hearing that dreaded click. As to binding the mag when you try to remove it, you have enough leverage when you remove it to easily overcome the added friction of the hold open follower so you would really have to have sensitive fingers to feel the added resistance when removing.

As to posting pictures, just upload the photo to our web host. Keep the size down as the site limits the size of the photo, then bring the picture up and right click on it, click on copy URL, then go to the post that you want to insert the photo into. At the top of the edit box is . click on that icon, then the from URL tab, uncheck the box and right click and paste the URL into the window. Press ok and your photo will be loaded into your post.

I say bullshit. I havee been tryining to uploads PICTURES of any size from thumbnail to the size of congress and have never suceeded on this site. BULLSHIT

sorry need to take some warm milk.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I say bullshit. I havee been tryining to uploads PICTURES of any size from thumbnail to the size of congress and have never suceeded on this site. BULLSHIT

Warm milk and a handful of chill pills.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

The Yugo mags are nice in theory (holds open the bolt after last round is fired) but a bitch in reality (very difficult to free mag, almost requires two hands). I have several in my collection but I don't run them in any of my AKs. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post

Try www.imgur.com
    Super easy
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations