Thread: newbie looking to buy AK

newbie looking to buy AK

I am in the market to buy a weapon and I was provided with a description of a possible one for sale. Ser# P47-01xxx AK-47s Polytech 762x39. I know a photo can do wonders, but none at this point. Can someone enlighten me as to what I may be looking at purchasing based on this description? After looking on the net, etc., there seems to be numbers on parts of the gun that should match. The asking price is $2,500.00 with magazines. Any recommendations how to make an informed decision? Thanx!

I forgot, but additional info I received from seller is that it is a Pre-ban, milled receiver with wood furniture.
    Last edited by AK671; 02-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Re: newbie looking to buy AK

Poyltechs are top of the line. In todays market, I'd say $2,000-$2,500 for one.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for your opinion. Do you have suggestions on what to look for to determine that it is not a build, but an original complete?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The P47 prefix indicates a fixed stock milled receiver Poly Tech Legend, which were considered the closest thing you could buy to a Russian AK Type 3 but in semi auto only. The Legends were and still are considered the best of the best. Not too long ago they were selling for less, but between the panic, and the fact that Legends were banned back in 1989, and more people getting into the hobby, if you can find a nice one, and the price is affordable to you, enjoy.

Most Legends came with a reddish color stock set, but some did have a blond color wood set. I personally like the red, but it is purely up to the buyer as to any added value by color wood.

Poly Tech AK mags should have three witness holes along the back to see how many rounds are loaded, and most came with chrome followers, but some did come in black. Regardless, the Poly Tech mags were the only ones with the three holes.

Keep us posted how you do! Good luck.

Can you tell I am a fan of the Chinese AK?

I am extremely grateful for your reply, and from Aaron1100us, as well. I don't have anyone that I feel trustworthy or knowledgable enough to help me make this decision on an AK.

I was not much of a fan of "Assault" type weapons. I am more of a hunter and I like my Browning BAR 7mm for that purpose and my Ruger Mini-14 for unexpected game. My motivation in the past few weeks has been the idea that I ane everyone else may be prohibited from owning these particular guns because some nut job used one to hurt another person/s. As we all know guns do not kill, but crazy people do.

In my quest to not being denied the "right to bear arms," I picked up a SigSauer556, a POF223, a Colt 7.62x39, a Colt Law Enforcement Carbine with M-4 upper, etc., in addition to my existing collection of 30-30's, shotguns, Ruger Mini 14's, Mini-30, a couple of SKS' (one detachable clip and one fixed clip), pistols, etc...

Our so called government ignores the majority, and makes knee jerk decisions on baseless ideas.... Sorry, too long!

Thanx again!

Ah, I didnt no that a sks had a detachable clip. for damn sure know it never had a fixable clip. Hey welcome to the forum.
    But, Hey we have to watch our sixes at this moment and
    you feel to cozy
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The chi-coms made two models of SKSs that used detachable AK mags... an M and a D IIRC...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    The chi-coms made two models of SKSs that used detachable AK mags... an M and a D IIRC...
    ok have to defer to you on this. but no clips right?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    ok have to defer to you on this. but no clips right?
    l921428x, I stand to be corrected, I used the wrong terminology, and El Laton Caliente, is absolutely right they are magazines. Don't understand "...watch our sixes...adn you feel too cozy." Pls explain?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I thought you can load an SKS from the top using a clip.

AK671, I know a lot of people that use the thirty caliber AK variant in hunting applications. (How's that for a fudd statement?!?!! )

The remark about watching your six means to look over your shoulder regularly to make sure you don't have an "unwanted" following you.

Thank you again! I guess loading from the top utilizes a stripper clip? Actually, you are right, one of the SKS' I have was used extensively for hunting, no doubting its capability. Lastly, I will be more cautious of my "six" in the future.