Thread: AK mag eject problem

AK mag eject problem

Ok, so I have a bit of a problem--hoping you guys can help me.

I am a first time AK owner (Model: Polish 1960 - ATM milled receiver) and took the rifle to the range yesterday. Every time I would fire a round, the mag was getting forcefully ejected. At first I thought it may be an issue with the magazine (using Tapco mags), but they fit nice and flush. This does not happen when dry firing.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this and how to fix it?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Have you tried a standard metal AK factory made magazine? Would put my money on the problem being the Tapco mag. Fitting nice and flush doesn't mean they are fully engaging the locking tab or the front lug fully engaging, and unfortunately dry firing or hand cycling an AK usually never shows an issue that happens when actually firing the rifle.

My 2 cents, try a standard 30 round AK factory mag, from any country and I would bet the problem goes away. If you do have the same problem with a standard AK mag, my next recommendation would be to contact the company who made the rifle as the mag well might not be milled correctly, or the mag latch not installed correctly or aligned correctly.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Welcome Aboard! Agreed, try an AK factory metal mag. We'll be interested in hearing the results.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice! :-) I will procure a steel mag (will take about a week) and report back. It would be great if this is just a mag issue.

Ok, got a steel magazine and went to the range over the weekend. Did the trick. The magazine was not forcibly ejected. The bolt does appear to be making more contact with the follower than desired--occasionally the bolt was getting hung up on it when the magazine is empty. I filed the follower a bit in the area of contact to mitigate this.
    Last edited by Khukri79; 03-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that it was a mag problem. As to filing the feed ramp, I have modified the lower part of the barrel by grinding a sort of feed ramp into it as many AKs don't have feed ramps and have problems feeding hollow point ammo. Since the AK was designed to use full metal jacket, it didn't surprise me to find that little hole in the front of the round causing feed issues.

Of course, if you are talking about modifying the magazine follower because the bolt was hitting it, the feed ramp shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry. I actually filed and smoothed the follower from the magazine. Edited my previous post for clarity.

Not a problem, we were all new to this at one time. The names of the various parts can even drive those of us who have been around firearm crazy. And trying to explain something so that anyone can understand can drive even a seasoned veteran crazy.