Thread: M10 762 safety lever question

Question M10 762 safety lever question

I took my M10 7.62 apart to paint it. When I put it back together, I ran into a problem with the safety lever. Some of the online videos mention a safety lever spring, and I don't see one on mine. The lever comes in on the left side of the receiver, and the "peg" at the end of the lever goes into a "plate" on the left side of the receiver, this "plate" has a fork that wraps around a pin in front of the trigger group. My questions:

1. The "plate" has a round hole and a "slotted" hole, which one should the safety lever "peg" go into?

2. Does anyone have detailed photos of their M10's safety assembly?

3. Is there an actual spring I am missing?

I have not fired the rifle, but the action works perfectly, as does the safety, although it feels a bit loose. It i will not slide on it's own, but not as firm and tight as I would think a safety should be.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be REALLY appreciated!

Anyone?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sorry no one responded sooner.

I believe you are asking about the plate that replaces the shepherd's hook which is what holds the hammer and trigger axis pins in place. They are wire springs that either attach to the safety or just use spring pressure to hold them in place. The plate that replaces the wire uses the safety to hold it in place.

Here is a basic tutorial on how the plate installs. http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fcgremoval4.shtml

Thank you! Yes, mine doesn't look exactly like that, but it does have a "fork" in the front that slides over the pins on the trigger group. The "back" (towards the stock) end of it has a couple of holes where the safety lever slides through it, and into the left side of the receiver. Unfortunately, there are two posibilities: One is a round hole, the other is another round hole, with an elongated part. It seems like the safety lever goes into the round part and then slides down the elongated part. Hard to explain!

This is the part I am talking about

http://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/...bv.v1.tpl.html

My question is which of the two holes should the safety lever go through? The plain round one, or the one that has the elongated opening?

Also, is there a way to make the safety "tighter"...in other words, add more tension?
    Last edited by 79camaro; 03-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

I have been around AKs for a long time and this is the first time I have seen that device. Would guess the round hole is the one to use for the safety as you would want the device immobile. Honestly looking at it I have no idea how it works to hold both axis pins in place properly. Would have expected the area that looks like it would hold the trigger pin in place to be round, not squared off, but...

The front should be the claw like opening that should slide over the locking area of the hammer pin.

The safety lever is a light spring metal, so to tighten it up you would bend it slightly toward the receiver. Funny you want more tension as most I have come by have to be bent out slightly to make it easier to use the safety.

Thank you very much for your help! I continued to google it, and found a good video of how to install it (BTW, you were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON THE MONEY!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Cx7I5FSLA[url]

Hope this helps another newbie like myself!