Thread: SVD color and type

SVD color and type

Does anyone know what this color is called? What is it made of? I asked over at dragunov.net and they thought it might me the color some AK-74's have. Any idea? Thanks

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

An official name for the color, no don't know of one. I'd call it a dark reddish brown. Looks a bit like some antique or dark cherry stains for color. Most likely it is Shellac for the finish. Looks like you have a Tiger Carbine, nice. Believe it or not at one time in the late 1990's those were on sale from one Gun Wholesale house for $440 bucks, kicking myself for not getting one back then.

Re: SVD color and type

Thanks. I figure I'm doing fairly well at less than $2,000 into it. $440 would have been nice though.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've seen SVD stocks in that reddish-walnut color, a lighter red and a yellowish blond as well as the black synthetic....

Re: SVD color and type

Looking to find something for touch up. Hand to sand a tiny area where the dust cover sits to get it to fit. Any idea what to get and where?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I think you will have to blend something from wood stains. Sand a hidden area, try a couple mixes, then re-stain.

There is a product, I can't remember the name, that basically spreads the existing stain and finish to scratched areas used to restore antique furniture.