Thread: New AK-47 owner with questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New AK-47 owner with questions

I'm new to the Ak-47 and just purchased a Romanian WASR 10/63 and got 2 tapco mags with it. I got some Winchester ammo and went out to shoot it and when i pull the bolt back to put the ammo in, it goes in the barrel but the bolt does not catch the ammo on the extractor and the bolt will not close fully. Hope this is not confusing i am trying to explain it the best i can. What would be the problem? Can the bolt be installed wrong? Anybody have any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. Give the guys a moment to wake up I am intrested in the answer. Enjoy.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

You are:

1. Loading the mag

2. inserting the mag into the mag well and pulling back until it is locked in place. (an AK "rocks" it's mag into battery, you hook the front lug into the magwell and rock back until the mag latch locks in)

3. turn off the safety lever

4. pull the bolt back ALL THE WAY and release (while holding the firearm pointed in a safe direction)

Now with the basics out of the way... Another problem could be preservative / cosmo / grease in the bolt and extractor. Do a very thorough cleaning of the area.

Re: New AK-47 owner with questions

Its probably the mags. Tapco mags suck. I had to learn that myself. They arent seating properly

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Tapco are about my last choice in AK mags. At best range mags only. Same with the Bulgarian "bullet" mags and the S. Korean mags...

Any mil-surplus AK mag is good...

OH! and welcome to the forum...

I know, it's silly, but I just got up. If you can't load and fire an AK, or determine why it won't, you probably shouldn't have one. Also, if you just bought it, you probably paid 4 times what it's worth. TAKE IT BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by cootertwo View Post
    I know, it's silly, but I just got up. If you can't load and fire an AK, or determine why it won't, you probably shouldn't have one. Also, if you just bought it, you probably paid 4 times what it's worth. TAKE IT BACK.
    what business is it of yours what he paid for it? and because hes having some issues with the gun he shouldn't have one? I would kindly tell you to go fuck yourself. 100's of people come here for help with all types of firearms. myself included

Sounds like a magazine problem.