Thread: New AK-47 owner with questions

New AK-47 owner with questions

I'm new to the Ak-47 and just purchased a Romanian WASR 10/63 and got 2 tapco mags with it. I got some Winchester ammo and went out to shoot it and when i pull the bolt back to put the ammo in, it goes in the barrel but the bolt does not catch the ammo on the extractor and the bolt will not close fully. Hope this is not confusing i am trying to explain it the best i can. What would be the problem? Can the bolt be installed wrong? Anybody have any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. Give the guys a moment to wake up I am intrested in the answer. Enjoy.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Re: New AK-47 owner with questions

Its probably the mags. Tapco mags suck. I had to learn that myself. They arent seating properly

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

You are:

1. Loading the mag

2. inserting the mag into the mag well and pulling back until it is locked in place. (an AK "rocks" it's mag into battery, you hook the front lug into the magwell and rock back until the mag latch locks in)

3. turn off the safety lever

4. pull the bolt back ALL THE WAY and release (while holding the firearm pointed in a safe direction)

Now with the basics out of the way... Another problem could be preservative / cosmo / grease in the bolt and extractor. Do a very thorough cleaning of the area.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Tapco are about my last choice in AK mags. At best range mags only. Same with the Bulgarian "bullet" mags and the S. Korean mags...

Any mil-surplus AK mag is good...

OH! and welcome to the forum...

I know, it's silly, but I just got up. If you can't load and fire an AK, or determine why it won't, you probably shouldn't have one. Also, if you just bought it, you probably paid 4 times what it's worth. TAKE IT BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by cootertwo View Post
    I know, it's silly, but I just got up. If you can't load and fire an AK, or determine why it won't, you probably shouldn't have one. Also, if you just bought it, you probably paid 4 times what it's worth. TAKE IT BACK.
    what business is it of yours what he paid for it? and because hes having some issues with the gun he shouldn't have one? I would kindly tell you to go fuck yourself. 100's of people come here for help with all types of firearms. myself included

Sounds like a magazine problem.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    easy guys! we are all adults here. and scottie don't listen to people with nothing positive to say and want to start trouble. there really good people here with an abundance of knowledge on ak varient rifles. only listen to the ones that want to help you. ignore the rest. it will get you into trouble

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Along with the welcome a word or two of warning. Some people forget that they too were new to this sport at one time, and were new to the particular firearm they just bought. Because some people forget, I tell new people here that having a thick skin is important, and every now and then I remind myself to suit up.

Just to clear up, and this is no slight to you because as I said, we were all new at one time, the extractor is the part of the bolt that pulls the spent shell out of the breech. I honestly don't know the official name of the part of the bolt that strips the round out of the mag and pushes it into the breech, but with a WASR 10 of any variety, it is possible that who ever opened the mag well did not check to make sure the bolt was the narrow type for single stack only or the standard type for a standard AK mag that feeds from both sides. (they all arrive in the land of shall not be infringed with a narrow mag well set up for ATF approved single stack mags and are milled open in the US to accept standard AK mags) It is possible the bolt is the issue. Does it feed from one side of the mag but not the other?

That said, your problem can very possibly be a mag issue as the Tapco mags are notorious for having issues. I would first try a standard metal AK mag from any country as they were all built to the same standard, which makes it nice for those of us who have to buy our own.

A third possibility is the mag latch at the front if the trigger guard is set too low and the mag does not get installed high enough for the bolt to pick up a round. Is there fore and aft play in the mag when installed? If you pull and hold the mag back, does the bolt then pick up the round correctly?

If you still have an issue after trying a standard AK mag, and the bolt is correct for a standard AK/AKM my suggestion is to contact Century and talk to them. They are usually very good about making things right.

One last thing, like was said by El Laton Caliente (ELC) make sure you pull the charging handle all the way back and let it slam home. The AK was designed to be abused. Also like he said, when you do that make sure you have the rifle pointed in at safe location because as rare as it might be, the AK has a floating firing pin and it can get stuck forward enough to cause a round to go off on bolt release.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how things go.

Well, call me an a hole if you want, but it sounds like an accident waiting to happen with the result being more fire for the anti assault weapons people. If I bought a gun for 1$ or 5000$, and it didn't work, I'd take it back where it came from. If it was too complicated for me to understand, I'd try something a little more simpler to start with, like a bolt action, etc. AND ANYBODY on this forum knows that if a firearm was purchased recently, it went for much more than it was going for a few months ago. I held a FFL for 6 years and still have a few of my $85 SKS's and $159 AK's. And to me at least, that's all they are worth. Now a REAL "A" hole would be selling these at current prices. I'm keeping mine thank you.