Thread: Ruger 556 whats the 411 on it?

Post Ruger 556 whats the 411 on it?

Ok I was browsing around and looking at ar type firearms. I see the ruger is a short stroke gas piston AR which is what I would want in an AR type firearm and I have been considering adding an AR to my collection after the craziness blows over... Waht is the 411 on it?

Is it the quality I expect from ruger?
    Is the upper receiver interchangable? I wouldn't mind have a 5.7 upper.
    Does it feed 5.56 nato as the name inples and is it ok to shoot .223 thru it also?

Thanks in advace for your help guys.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The RUGER® SR-556® Rifles are offered in two calibers: the 5.56mm NATO
    (which also uses the .223 Rem. cartridge), and the 6.8mm Remington SPC
    cartridge. The SR-556® Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S. military,
    or factory loaded sporting cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry
    practice. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Warning - Ammunition,” below.

reference - https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/sr556.pdf

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

I have been shooting one for about a year and a half. Put about 3000 rounds through it. Not ONE problem. I have a scope and bipod on mine and it is very accurate. It is so easy to clean, but with the way the piston guns work, it doesn't need cleaning nearly as much as I clean it. It is very well made. The plated bolt simply wipes off and the trigger is good. (not GREAT, but good) I have many other ARs, Colts, S&W M&P 15, Bushmasters and the SR556 is right at the top of all of those if not the best. You can always shoot .223 from a 5.56, but you take considerable risk shooting 5.56 from a .223

Thankyou for the info and the first hand experience guys..... I guess in a few months I will have to get one after the shops get guns back in them again. I've wanted an AR for sometime to go with my AK but I am no fan of direct gas inpengment so when I saw the ruger was a ssgp I was immediatly interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm281 View Post
    Ok I was browsing around and looking at ar type firearms. I see the ruger is a short stroke gas piston AR which is what I would want in an AR type firearm and I have been considering adding an AR to my collection after the craziness blows over... Waht is the 411 on it?

Is it the quality I expect from ruger?
    Is the upper receiver interchangable? I wouldn't mind have a 5.7 upper.
    Does it feed 5.56 nato as the name inples and is it ok to shoot .223 thru it also?

Thanks in advace for your help guys.
    I have fired 250 rounds in mine with 2 jams. Gun is way too heavy for an AR-15. I was unaware of the carrier tilt issue when I bought mine, so I don't know if that problem is now fixed. The Ruger design does not allow access to the operating rod. Not sure if that will be a problem. As a positive, the gas piston is very easy to clean and in 250 rounds the chamber and bolts carrier assembly is still clean on my gun. My recommendation is for your 1rst AR-15 stick with a gas impingement design.

I like the Ruger 556 rifles and almost bought one until I shot a pws mk114. It shoots a lot smoother and isn't muzzle heavy like the Ruger is. It's a long stroke system and due to this is very soft shooting. The ssgp rifles I tried felt a lot snappier to me in recoil.
    The Ruger was my 2nd choice though and you'll be happy w either one. I know aim has mk116 rifles for $1465 right now.
    Both of them are super clean shooting compared to di.

I like it better then the sig but its still a bit off feeling to me compared to my regular ar's or my AK.