Thread: Historical behavior of North Korea points to coming attack...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Post Historical behavior of North Korea points to coming attack...

http://news.yahoo.com/history-shows-...112646404.html

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Recent Korean history reveals a sobering possibility: It may only be a matter of time before North Korea launches a sudden, deadly attack on the South. And perhaps more unsettling, Seoul has vowed that this time, it will respond with an even stronger blow.
    Humiliated by past attacks, South Korea has promised — as recently as Tuesday — to hit back hard at the next assault from the North, opening up the prospect that a skirmish could turn into a wider war.
    Lost in the headline-making North Korean bluster about nuclear strikes on Washington in response to U.N. sanctions is a single sentence in a North Korean army Supreme Command statement of March 5. It said North Korea "will make a strike of justice at any target anytime as it pleases without limit."
    Those words have a chilling link to the recent past, when Pyongyang, angry over perceived slights, took its time before exacting revenge on rival South Korea. Vows of retaliation after naval clashes with South Korea in 1999 and 2009, for example, were followed by more bloodshed, including attacks blamed on North Korea that killed 50 South Koreans in 2010.
    Those attacks three years ago "are vivid reminders of the regime's capabilities and intentions," Bruce Klingner, a former U.S. intelligence official now at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, wrote in a recent think tank posting.

----------------------------------------

Yes, NK has perpetrated small attacks in the past but the South showed restraint when that happened.

This time it's different. South Korea has a new woman President and she's vowed to hit back hard if the North strikes.

We could very well be seeing the start of a new Korean war. And we have a large contingency of troops there - under the UN of course, but our troops nonetheless.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

N K is just lower China. N K lost there 1st fight against S K at the Yalu.

edit SK and the UN troops. A lot of people died and I do not wish to slight them.
    Last edited by l921428x; 03-12-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

The NK leadership suffers from "Little Man" Syndrome. If they had a 4x4 Chevy it would have 52 inch Mickey Thompsons on it and a set of those chrome balls hanging from the trailer hitch.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I would not mourn the loss of NK by nuclear annhilation. Probably not feasible with our ally SK on their south border, but it's still a nice thought.

Doesn't SK still owe some payback to NK over a ship that got torpedoed?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Doesn't SK still owe some payback to NK over a ship that got torpedoed?
    Plus four dead civilians from an artillery strike.

SK gets nuked by NK; retaliates with nukes; China supports their "ally" by nuking SK as well.

Any bets on what happens then?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    SK gets nuked by NK; retaliates with nukes; China supports their "ally" by nuking SK as well.

$1.00 a round .223 with seem like a bargain?

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Yak, yak, yak......either shit or get off the pot..............................chris3

I'm still waiting for China to bitch-slap N.K. like the spoiled little red-headed step-child that it is.

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    From what I have been hearing, China is getting pretty fed up with the North Korean rants. They are so hog-tied to the USA because of trade and other financial things, they could not afford alienating us, so it would not surprise me to see China slap North Korea around just a bit.

Didn't China actually propose the latest sanctions.

I don't think for one second that China would be willing to completely ruin it's economy to defend NK. NK serves no purpose to China other than something to keep the world busy with.

If it came down to a serious nuke threat from NK I think China give their support to the SK and the US.

I just can't imagine China being a down to the bone ally of NK when so much of their own well being would be at stake.

What would worry me more is if NK was about to completely implode, total chaos, and they just figured screw it were all about to die so why not go out ina plume of glory and nuke some of our enemies. They have to know the consequences of nuking SK, Japan, or the USA would be devastating for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

South Korea doesn't have nuclear weapons.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hey JoJo right On! N.K. has gone from the Great Leader to the Dear Leader, to the Supreme Leader, and most likely next will be the Nuked Leader. You look at these Clown's and they are all Fat Chuby little Rolly Polly Small Men, with Fat Chin's. and that dead pan look on their Face, that only Communism can bring about. Eunic's every one.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    From what I have been hearing, China is getting pretty fed up with the North Korean rants. They are so hog-tied to the USA because of trade and other financial things, they could not afford alienating us, so it would not surprise me to see China slap North Korea around just a bit.
    I find it hard, impossible even, to believe NK moves without China saying to,

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Updates - things are heating up:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03...-cyber-attack/

OUL, South Korea – North Korea on Friday blamed South Korea and the United States for cyberattacks that temporarily shut down websites this week at a time of elevated tensions over the North's nuclear ambitions. Experts, however, indicated it could take months to determine what happened and one analyst suggested hackers in China were a more likely culprit.
    Internet access in Pyongyang was intermittent on Wednesday and Thursday, and Loxley Pacific Co., the broadband Internet provider for North Korea, said it was investigating an online attack that took down Pyongyang servers. A spokesman for the Bangkok-based company said Friday that it was not clear where the attack originated.
    North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency blamed the shutdown on the United States and South Korea, accusing the allies of expanding an aggressive stance against Pyongyang into cyberspace with "intensive and persistent virus attacks."
    South Korea denied the allegation and the U.S. military declined to comment.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03...#ixzz2NczRtVPq

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://video.foxnews.com/v/222830093...-korea-threat/

The Pentagon is beefing up the nation’s missile defense in the wake of provocative nuclear threats from North Korea and is set to deploy 14 additional ground-based interceptors at missile silos in Alaska and California, congressional and U.S. officials tell Fox News.
    The extra interceptors on the West Coast, designed to counter attacks from an intercontinental ballistic missile, would bring the total number of interceptors to 44, a plan originally proposed by the Bush administration. President Obama stopped the deployment of the additional interceptors when he took office in 2009, leaving the total number at 30.
    Congressional sources claim that by stalling the original plan and forcing the military to bring back on line silos that otherwise would have been operational, the Obama administration has effectively wasted millions in taxpayer’s dollars.
    It’s a sentiment that is not likely to sit well with conservative lawmakers when the plan is announced on Monday, particularly as they seek new austerity measures.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2NcyfltI2

--------------------------

Looks a little dicey. And since the cyber attack most likely originated in China - from private citizens that don't like NK, it seems that China doesn't have such a good handle on things... besides, they've condemned NK right along with the US.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

NK has many options. In addition to the recent artillery and submarine attacks on SK, they also maintain a very large Special Forces capability. They are probably one of the few conventional militaries in the world with regular troops ready to be deployed on suicide missions.

They've done it before, in the late 60's they send about a platoon of commandos to try and kill the SK president. Read about it here, it's some full-on stuff! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_House_Raid