Thread: Brittle Feeling on Lower Handguard after Fireing Pre-Ban Norinco Underfolder.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question Brittle Feeling on Lower Handguard after Fireing Pre-Ban Norinco Underfolder.

My Orginal Handguards for my Preban Norinco Type-56S-1 became brittle or Rought feeling after I put over 500 Rounds throught it. I have one of the C.S.I. Norinco's with the Norinco Banner, and marked like a Chicom Type-56-1 with the 66 in Triangle, and Proper Marking's execpt for the S. Execpt for putting the Wide Norinco Checkered Grip and a Bulgarian Guiderod Spring Assy. on it. it is all orginal. Is it normal for the standard Chinese Chu Wood light Beige or Tan Colored Wood(Chinese Military Wood) to become rought like that. I dont recall my Polytech Wood doing after fireing. I had my Gunsmith refinish them, to like new condition, but now they are getting rought again. Is this the nature of Norinco Wood.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have never had any problems with my lower handguards. Wish I could help you.

how fast did you fire the 500 rounds. You might have melted the finish.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Not fast, you are not allowed to do fast Fire at the Sebastian Range. I had noticed this also on SKS and Type-53
    s with the same light colored finished Wood. I guess the Heat turn's the Laquior or shelak, or what ever it was sealed with, brittle over time. I was wondering if anyone esle also noticed this. Polytech Wood is different, there is no coating on it.

Fwiw...,perfect reason as to useing tung oil as the finish.the tung oil is less impervious to heat transfer.
    Last edited by buxman66; 03-08-2013 at 10:16 PM.