Thread: Am I Able to Reload with This?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Am I Able to Reload with This?

So, I hate to admit this, a little more than 25 years ago a friend gave me some reloading dies for a .32 WSP. I have been carrying them around thinking that some day I would get a press and be able to do some loading. I finally got around to reading the instructions that came with the dies and what I have is a RCBS 2-Die set and shell holder. From what I am reading I should be able to use this to reload .32 WSP without a press, right?

If I am right I still need a micrometer, scale and something to cut the shells down to the right size, is that correct?

Last question, at least for now, is there a place I can get the reloading information for .32 WSP without having to buy a whole book?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No, dies are dies and RCBS never made a die that didn't need to be screwed into a press as far as I know. I got my first RCBS dies in 1973 to load .30-06. The dies have threads on the outside do they not? If the answer is yes, you have typical reloading dies that need to be screwed into a press.

A press has a slot in the top of the ram that is used put a shell holder on the ram. The case is then slipped into the shell holder so that you can shove the case into the first die that has a decapping pin in it. This should also be a full length resizing die so it does two steps, resize and knock out the old primer. The second die seats the bullet after you put a primer and powder in the case. It should be adjustable to put a roll crimp on the case mouth if you want to crimp. Be careful to not over do the crimp. This wears out the case mouth quickly and leads to a split.

The RCBS on line catalog says it's a Group A die. This is supposed to be an image of the .32 WSP dies. http://www.rcbs.com/resources/catalog/rcbs-catalog/ Click da link.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-08-2013 at 06:38 AM.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp Update post, here is a link to an online Hodgdon Reloading powders manual. .32 Winchester Special is listed. Looks like a fairly low speed round about 2250 fps with 170 grain bullets called out on every load shown. Varget powder, H335, BLC-2, 768 Winchester and Benchmark powders are listed. Charges are 30 grs. on the minimum to 37 max depending on the powder type / brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No, dies are dies and RCBS never made a die that didn't need to be screwed into a press as far as I know. I got my first RCBS dies in 1973 to load .30-06. The dies have threads on the outside do they not? If the answer is yes, you have typical reloading dies that need to be screwed into a press.

A press has a slot in the top of the ram that is used to shove the case into the first die that has a decapping pin in it. This should also be a full length resizing die so it does two steps, resize and knock out the old primer. The second die seats the bullet after you put a primer and powder in the case. It should be adjustable to put a roll crimp on the case mouth if you want to crimp. Be careful to not over do the crimp. This wears out the case mouth quickly and leads to a split.

The RCBS on line catalog says it's a Group A die. This is supposed to be an image of the .32 WSP dies. http://www.rcbs.com/resources/catalog/rcbs-catalog/ Click da link.
    Darn. My wife will be happy though. She did not want me buying gun powder. That is what I have though. Again, darn.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Darn. My wife will be happy though. She did not want me buying gun powder. That is what I have though. Again, darn.
    I don't understand your apprehension about buying a single stage reloading press; they don't cost a million bucks. On powder, modern gun powder is very safe. You don't have to worry about static electricity setting it off and putting a match in it will probably put the match out. You literally have to use a propane torch to light it if it is sitting in a pile on a paper plate; it will flare and sputter, but no whoosh or boom.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/998...tage-press-kit Here, follow the link to Midway USA. This would be a very nice starter kit with press made by RCBS. Lee equipment except for their dies are low use armature grade equipment. I wore a Lee bullet mold out in less than 1000 rounds cast. I tried the Lee Auto Primer tool; it wore out in 5,000 primed cases even with grease on the cam points.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-19-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Reloading is not something to jump into without knowing what you're doing. VERY easy to make mistakes if you're not paying very close attention. However, after much reading, asking questions, and getting the right equipment, it can be a lot of fun. Especially if you're somewhere where you can test your reloaded rounds, and fine tune them to the weapon your reloading for. Different powders, charges, bullet weights, bullet types, all come into play. A good reload is not a reload, but a "custom" load. Also best to have a separate, isolated space to reload. No distractions is a must.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Buy a basic single stage kit - you won't be sorry. If you want recommendations - just ask.

Something like this will do you very well, but at $190 from Midway might be more $$ than you're looking for - if so, Lee makes several kits that are less expensive - though not as durable IMHO.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

look around i got an older lee single stage setup for $20 last month .

Quote Originally Posted by cootertwo View Post
    Reloading is not something to jump into without knowing what you're doing. VERY easy to make mistakes if you're not paying very close attention. However, after much reading, asking questions, and getting the right equipment, it can be a lot of fun. Especially if you're somewhere where you can test your reloaded rounds, and fine tune them to the weapon your reloading for. Different powders, charges, bullet weights, bullet types, all come into play. A good reload is not a reload, but a "custom" load. Also best to have a separate, isolated space to reload. No distractions is a must.
    It, reloading is not that difficult. I've been doing shot shells since I was 13 and centerfire handgun and rifle since I was 17. It isn't rocket science, but you do have to pay attention to charge weights, that IS a fact. I never freelance a starting load for a new chambering or powder. In today's world with free online reloading manuals a guy can almost always find a documented starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I don't understand your apprehension about buying a single stage reloading press; they don't cost a million bucks. On powder, modern gun powder is very safe. You don't have to worry about static electricity setting it off and putting a match in it will probably put the match out. You literally have to use a propane torch to light it if it is sitting in a pile on a paper plate; it will flare and sputter, but no whoosh or boom.
    It is mostly a question of moving. If we were stationary it would not be a big deal, but being in the military I have been moving about every 18 months with the last move being a cross country move. During this move about 25% of my truck was taken up with ammo and the firearms I did not ship. This means I can't go onto bases as I travel as military bases are "gun free" zones for people not on security duty. Having powder and primers to carry would be more room that I would have to find next time we move. That is about it.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    It is mostly a question of moving. If we were stationary it would not be a big deal, but being in the military I have been moving about every 18 months with the last move being a cross country move. During this move about 25% of my truck was taken up with ammo and the firearms I did not ship. This means I can't go onto bases as I travel as military bases are "gun free" zones for people not on security duty. Having powder and primers to carry would be more room that I would have to find next time we move. That is about it.
    I see, hard to argue with that logic. I would say keep your empty brass, you won't be in the Navy forever, someday you'll be a civi again. At the current cost of brass it might be a retirement account in disguise.