Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always hated that 'Why don't you join the Army if you want to have a gun" remark by gun haters....

Always hated that 'Why don't you join the Army if you want to have a gun" remark by gun haters....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...rotesters.html

I've actually heard that argument about a dozen times.

As a taxpayer, “I'm funding this (gunshow),” protester Maddie Gavel-Briggs told show-goer Vardan Ambartsumyan. “Why don't you join the military if you want to play with guns?”

I know all of you know it's total crap, but for some reason that 'argument' bugs me more than any other 'anti gun' remark. Don't know why. Perhaps because it is patently absurd on it's face. Perhaps because it is a DOUBLE INSULT, since I (like many other members of Gunsnet) have served and thus find such a comment indicative of complete ignorance of how our military works (we don't personally OWN anything that Uncle Sam issues us. Tank drivers don't own their tanks, and we return our small arms to the armory, pilots don't OWN their aircraft, etc. etc.) To imply that active duty military 'play' with their guns, implies some sort of mental instability as if all the military are a bunch of psychopaths who 'play war'. Anyway Only a hippie liberal moron would make such a stupid comment.

Just venting.

I joined the Army because I love to play with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You're NOT helping

Next one who gives you that line of BS, tell 'em: "Why don't you become a critic if you want to have an opinion."
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Guns are such a very small part of what I do, and you might think oh he must deal with a lot of explosives, and I do, also dive, jump out of planes and helicopters and party in crazy ass places all over the world. But if my job title was based on what I do the other 80% of the time, the correct title would be gear maintenance guy, or paperwork expert, but no one would sign up if your recruiter told you that you get to become a 3m guru and would be an expert at excel. Because the navy has found a way to take something cool like fixing a robot and turn it into something I just slightly prefer over gorilla rape.

But yes I know that old line and the only time it pisses me off more is when I hear command and flag level officers say it on the national news, at some point they stop being military officers and become politicians.
    This is true. I haven't qualified on a firearm in almost 10 years and I doubt I will ever get to again.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

heard that one lots of times. They are simply morons. plain and simple.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Libreals suffer from a mental disease, its called .... flaming stupidity!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

"Why don't you move to North Korea if you don't want your fellow countrymen to have guns?"
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I used to get PAID, to kill dimokrats in Vietnam. Talk about the good old days. AND....got free ammo, a machine gun to run it through, hand grenades, claymores, morters, Ma Duece, with, Field Arty and Tac Air, on call....HOT SPIT! Mufuckin BOOM!
    Ahhhhhh...being young.....life was good. The Army then... sure was up front about trackin 'em, whackin 'em and stackin 'em. Damn sure ruined me for ...video games.

Did I mention the C-4?
    Burning huts in communist villages worldwide since 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I bought guns because I love to play with guns. Never been in the military though.

Vietnam ended 5 months after I turned 18 and registered for Selective Service.

How do you spell "RELIEF"?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Quote Originally Posted by bubagun View Post
    I used to get PAID, to kill dimokrats in Vietnam. Talk about the good old days. AND....got free ammo, a machine gun to run it through, hand grenades, claymores, morters, Ma Duece, with, Field Arty and Tac Air, on call....HOT SPIT! Mufuckin BOOM!
    Ahhhhhh...being young.....life was good. The Army then... sure was up front about trackin 'em, whackin 'em and stackin 'em. Damn sure ruined me for ...video games.

Did I mention the C-4?
    And, if ya remember, there was a DRAFT then....other option was go to Canada or become a professional overeducated enlightened one!
    Dan

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Joined the air force because I wanted to play with nukes. Ended up in Thailand where I made sure the bombs fell off the B52s when they were supposed to. Spent my free time working on the Thai railroad.....chris3

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    I am lucky we get to shoot when we need to, or if things are slow, did crew served yesterday, but it feels like for every hour of cool guy stuff, we do 10 of paper work and maintenance.
    I would rather be kicked in my face by a mule instead of anything "CLASSROOM" related again in my life .

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

As already pointed out, libtards have such a silly notion of what military service entails. In fact, they really are uninformed, misinformed and clueless about so many things. They base their ideas off of feelings and what they've been told.

I despise them.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Remember, guys in the military just use these rifles to shoot from the hip and spray everyone in their sight.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I play with guns because I don't want join the army.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    So, once we have been in the military, aren't we "grandfathered" in to play with guns the rest of our lives?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

The other day someone said to me that they supported the 2nd, but said a mag cap of over 5 rounds was ok. So that got me to thinking that any ink pen with more ink than 5 words should be banned, as well as any piece of paper that had more than 5 words, and text file, any video or audio with more than 5 words. All media broadcasts must be limited to a maximum of 5 words.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Full time draft for every single able bodied man and woman in the country, double time for the gun haters. There would be fewer non military congress and white house people so less chance of a bone head rush to war by people who neither know or care about the cost in lives ruined and cost to the country. Don't want to serve the country you live in because you are to good to be in the military find someplace else to live.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Whenever presented with that piece of crap statement, I reply that Heinrich Himmler once said that "If people what to possess guns, they should join the police or SS".

They usually refuse to believe that's a true story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast