Thread: PSL gas tube retainer removal

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

PSL gas tube retainer removal

I need your help with this one, on removing the retainers, my brother thinks he cut into the tube by accident, any advice on repairing this? He took a picture and I can't see the damage done, he might have scratched it I'm not sure.

wow. made a mess I think
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

FUBAR is my reply. Fucked Up Beyond All Repair! Why the hell would he try to take the handguard retainer off, it is spot welded to the tube body they are NOT supposed to come off.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Its for the Rhineland arms Psl SVD stock kit and don't blame him, its my gun and I told him to do it. So I'm at fault.

http://www.troupsystems.com/svd%20kit.htm
    Last edited by s15v8; 03-09-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Believe it or not, even if he cut a hole in the gas tube that far back it will not affect operation of the rifle. Ugly mess, no arguing, but by the time the gas impulse gets that far back it has already done it's job.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Believe it or not, even if he cut a hole in the gas tube that far back it will not affect operation of the rifle. Ugly mess, no arguing, but by the time the gas impulse gets that far back it has already done it's job.
    holy geebus man!!!

I'm not going to have it left like that, it will get cleaned up and repainted / finished

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s15v8 View Post
    Its for the Rhineland arms Psl SVD stock kit and don't blame him, its my gun and I told him to do it. So I'm at fault.

http://www.troupsystems.com/svd%20kit.htm
    I see, I was unaware of this stock system. Still, um that's quite a one way ticket on the gas tube. Now on fuction I would agree a small hole in the tube shouldn't hurt function. I think I see the hole, it's small and centered in the flute in the middle of the tube's image in your post. I would next say it also depends on where the hole is located, straight up or straight down is probably OK. If it is firing the gas into your wood handguards I might be a little worried that it would gas cut the wood or maybe light it on fire eventually if you shoot it a lot. I think it's a remote possibility but ... until you try it you won't know for sure. The pressure is probably pretty low there, you could braze it or high temp silver solder to plug the hole then. File and sand a bit to match the contour and with a light sand blast and a repaint it should hide well enough.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.