Thread: Western Field 20 gauge pump

Western Field 20 gauge pump

I've come across one in for $75, looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm a shotgun noob, but from what info I could find it appears to be an old house brand for Montgomery Ward. Anyone have one? Good shooter? Seems like a well built sturdy old gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Kevlar, you are correct. Western Field was the house brand for Montgomery Wards. There should be a model number stamped on the barrel or receiver. If you got to the link below you should be able to cross-reference the actual manufacturer and their model number.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

That cross reference list is awesome! Seems like a decent price on a solid shotgun no matter which brand it is, I'll have to get the model # from the seller whom I work with to know exactly which one it is. Thanks for the great info! Hopefully get it this weekend and post a few pics.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Kevlar, you are correct. Western Field was the house brand for Montgomery Wards. There should be a model number stamped on the barrel or receiver. If you got to the link below you should be able to cross-reference the actual manufacturer and their model number.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...reference.html

Steve
    Steve, Thanks for that link. I have a WF 243 Made by Sako. Always wanted a little info on it.

Picked this up today for $75, needs a good cleaning but otherwise exceptional condition. I was unable to find the exact model (M550CR) on the cross reference list, but it is definatley made by mossberg.

M550CR 20 gauge.jpg
    Plato

wow, you did good

looks just like a rem Wingmaster 20ga.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Kevlar, your Western Field Model 550CR is the same as a Mossberg 500C. Yours includes a C-LECT choke.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That looks like a real good deal. Congratulations.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to getting er cleaned up and putting some shells through it. Will probably shoot this more this spring then my 7.62 rifles given the current ammo "situation". Gotta say this network is top notch, helpful members and great info. Thanks all!
    Plato

keep the C-lect choke threads clean or it will freeze up.

thanks, will do. checked it right away and it adjusted perfectly. curious to see how the patterns actually come out. seems like a great idea vs. changing out chokes, but the idea obviously didn't seem to stick. I'm no shotgun guru, but it's the first time I've seen one of these.
    Plato

they work good.

I took several grouse with the one that was on my 20ga wingmaster.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    thanks, will do. checked it right away and it adjusted perfectly. curious to see how the patterns actually come out. seems like a great idea vs. changing out chokes, but the idea obviously didn't seem to stick. I'm no shotgun guru, but it's the first time I've seen one of these.
    I have an uncle with a shotgun with a choke like that. I think they didn't catch on because they could look unsightly at the end of the barrel. He was able to change chokes much easier than I could with a RemChoke.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    IMO the Polychokes didn't work that well and that's primarily why they never caught on, that and they added bulk and cost to the weapon. Looking at the photo the receiver and entire weapon looks a lot like a Winchester 1200. The Win doesn't have the top slide button safety switch, rather it has a cross bolt type safety in the trigger guard area. Congrats on the score, $ 75 is a great price for a weapon in such good condition.

Thanks. The detail on the stock and reciever adds allot to the look of the gun. It's a surprisngly light shotgun even with the c-lect choke on there. Probably because its the 20 gauge model. soon as the snow melts here those clays are in for a bad day.
    Plato

IMO the Polychokes didn't work that well and that's primarily why they never caught on
    the cost didnt help and IF you remove one you'll find the barrel is turned down to a smaller overall diameter for the last 3/4" or so and soldered. Which is why most folks just Chopped them off at the base of the choke.

I have one on a winchester 12 , the actual "choke" affect is removed since I just wanted the look without paying through the nose for a Cutts.