Thread: Maadi Tack Welded Barrel Nut HELP!

Maadi Tack Welded Barrel Nut HELP!

I just traded a gun for this Maadi and Ive seen reviews on where you can dremel the tack weld and get the nut off. Well I did that and it dont seem to want to budge so by looking at these pictures can you tell me what are my options cause I really want a slant brake......Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by sharkatooth87; 03-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.

You do know that the nut is reverse threaded don't you?

Diesel 88888888

Yes ots just like my rpk but its not coming off

I took one of these off years ago and remember that it took a bit of doing...now, here is an old time gunsmith trick that you may get to work. Soak the muzzle end in oil of wintergreen...over night or for a couple of days. It will penetrate anything...this is how we took frozen breech blocks out of old flint lock rifles and muskets...just filled the barrel and when it seeped through it was good to go.

If this doesn't work for you...I'll try to think of something that will.

Diesel 88888888

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Left handed thread yes, so opposite rotation. However you may not have fully cut the weld. A trick that I use when taking the old receiver stub off of an FAL barrel is to dremel a slot in line with the bore in the receiver. You could do that too on that barrel nut. Then take a cold chisel and a hammer and split the nut. You don't need to go all the way through so measure the thickness and stop short of coming through to the other side. The wedge shape of the chisel will wedge the metal and crack it. You might even do two slots and split it into two chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Left handed thread yes, so opposite rotation. However you may not have fully cut the weld. A trick that I use when taking the old receiver stub off of an FAL barrel is to dremel a slot in line with the bore in the receiver. You could do that too on that barrel nut. Then take a cold chisel and a hammer and split the nut. You don't need to go all the way through so measure the thickness and stop short of coming through to the other side. The wedge shape of the chisel will wedge the metal and crack it. You might even do two slots and split it into two chunks.
    Who would be good to do that kind of work? cause the gunsmiths here dont mess with AK's

Ok Now I finally got it off but I think some of the threads broke towards the sight block cause the slant brake wont go on all the way.....How to fix this and also another problem is the locking pin on the front block is not retracting out it seems to be jammed in there how to free it up?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The threads do look a little damaged but I have seen many slant brakes that do not turn in all the way, and some go as much as 3/4 of the way passed the lock pin so you have to back it up to lock it in place, leaving them loose and a distance from the front sight.

Unless you removed the front sight and then used a die to clean the threads, without removing the front sight the die would not go down far enough to clean the last thread, and you would be left in the same condition.

The first question, are you in the situation described above, that the brake turns well past the lock point but way less then a full turn causing you to have to back up to the locking point?

i would have to back up a little but the main issue im having now is the pin wont retract back out to lock the brake in so how can I get it freed up?

It looks like the front of the pin might have some damage on it. The first thing I would do is soak it with a penetrating oil. Then using a thin punch and a very light hammer, tap it lightly to try to free it up. If that doesn't work, it is held in by the front cross pin. Knock that pin out, spray the penetrating oil in the cross pin hole, and then try again to free it up by tapping it on the front. Be ready for it to come flying out if you do take the cross pin out and then manage to break it loose. They aren't expensive, but frustrating to watch one fly across a room, and then not be able to find it. And don't forget there is a small spring behind it.

I got the pin out and where the spring is it will not let the pin depress all the way in. Is there anyway to pull the spring out or do i need to make the pin shorter.

Finally Got it all done. It look like when it came from the factory they just slammed the pin in and spring without proper fitting I took the spring out and had to trim it down then I had to grind down the pin area that clears the front sight pin. Now its put back together and looks great now I just have to get the slant brake on good..........Could I use teflon tape? ...................Got another guestion my bolt carrier has this black paint on it and even the bolt. In my RPK it just has steel or maybe the stainless look. Is it ok to take off this black paint ant just have the steel look or would it start to rust or something? Any insights on this would be awesome. Thanks

Easy first, Maadis came with black painted carriers. I would leave is original and just slap a thin layer of something like CLP on it to help protect it by filling in any holes in the paint. Some people have removed the piant or finish as it is on some AKs to get it to the silver color of the base metal. While I have never seen one rust, I have seen them discolor, so I would suggest if you do remove the paint, just keep the carrier well coated while it is awaiting a range session.

I would first take some bluing to the threads on the barrel to protect it. Then use a high temp anti-seize compound on it although that is really not needed. A thin layer of CLP on the threads will protect them between shooting sessions. After each range time, I always remove the brake and clean inside it and the threads, then after fully cleaning the barrel, reoil the threads, and then reinstall the brake.

Don't worry if the brake seems a little loose. Loose is normal for most parts of an AK and don't affect function. The gas piston should be loose on the carrier, the bolt loose inside the removed carrier, the upper handguard on the tube can be loose, the muzzle device loose, the carrier on the rails loose. All this adds to the unquestioned reliability of the AK/AKM/AK-74.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    What do you say, looks like you may want to polish or re-crown the barrel.
    Just me and my monkey....