Thread: mak-90 stock options

Cool mak-90 stock options

i've looked around the web and , cannot find anything good so far ,, i currently own a mak-90 ,and really want to turn it into a full tactical rifle ,, utilimak has the foreend covered ,,but the stock is another story ,, the reciever is stamped with a slant cut .. i really like the folding six pos. ar-15 style stock .. (i'm trying to keep it as close to the ar-15/m-4 platform i'm used too ) if push comes to shove i can make a wooden stock to fit (own a woodshop) and paint it black with a rhinoline material .but galldarn it i really want that folding telescoping m-4 stock even if a little gunsmithing is required .. after serving and, using the m-4 everyday i cannot wait to put together an ak platform with redot/flashlight/green laser.that chucks a (darn near) a 30/30 round downrange ... anything i can do to keep that m-4 feel is a major plus .. any help,, advice ,, or pics of other folks similiar projects would be worth gold to me ,and THANK-YOU in advance ----- (((ANARCHIST))))

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Unfortunately there aren't many companies making stocks for the slant cut MAK-90 as they are fairly rare and not worth tooling for just the one type of receiver. Add to that the thicker metal used by the Chinese versus the Europeans narrows it even further, as the special stock not only would need the different shape, but also narrower.

I did what you say you can do, made a stock for one of mine in my garage. Alternatively Ironwood Designs makes a standard shape wood stock for the slant cut MAK-90.

Another thing I have done for others is to use the standard stock and fill the slant area with epoxy so that it matches the receiver, then paint it black to disguise it.

If you want a "tactical" stock, you can use any but would have to file down the part that fits into the receiver to fit the Norinco. Like above you can then cover the slant area with epoxy and paint it to blend it in with the shape of the receiver. Very easy to do and since you already figure you will have to do a little adaptation yourself, a fun couple of hour project.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Found this but it's for a VEPR not a norinco so it probably WILL NOT fit correctly.
    It's also for putting wood on a slant receiver but maybe the design idea will further inspire.
    http://store.carolinashooterssupply....Adapter/Detail
    Can't remember if carolina shooters supply is on the shit list or not so forgive me if it is.

A folding stock might be a serious problem to buy a ready made fixitupper for on a slant receiver to be honest though.
    I've yet to see one for sale.

The telescoping part is easy as hell though if you can find one of these in stock somewhere.
    VLTOR WEAPON SYSTEMS - AK-47 COLLAPSIBLE STOCK ADAPTER
    Bolts up directly to the tang and is rock solid enough to the point that you could probably use the rifle butt as a baseball bat. It'll leave a big hole at the back of the receiver because of the slant but since you're talking about a little gunsmithing that shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make a dirt cover similar to the ones that comes with it that's custom made to fit snug into the slant.

thanks for the help folks ,,,,, i am leaning toward the vltor stk adapter ,, sorry if i sound like an idiot ,but that is just the tube right what attaches to that ?? a standard ar-15 style stock ,, and have you seen any pics of them used on a mak-90 ??? ,, i did also come across the ace integeral module reciever block ,,--any thoughts on that ,, i just don't want to buy something i cannot return .. and not use .. again like i said not so much lookin for a folder .but more of a adjustable ar-15 style buttstock for a slant cut mak-90 ,, if i have to file something down //// cut off a tang ,,etc. no problem as long as i end up with a solid stock that don't look butched --- you know ---p.s. stinker whats the chances of making one of the plates they send work on the vltor.. and also some folks say the tapco stock is junk any thoughts on who makes a good ar stock like what i'm lookin for that has a little bit of quality to it -----thanx

Quote Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
    thanks for the help folks ,,,,, i am leaning toward the vltor stk adapter ,, sorry if i sound like an idiot ,but that is just the tube right what attaches to that ?? a standard ar-15 style stock ,, and have you seen any pics of them used on a mak-90 ??? ,, i did also come across the ace integeral module reciever block ,,--any thoughts on that ,, i just don't want to buy something i cannot return .. and not use .. again like i said not so much lookin for a folder .but more of a adjustable ar-15 style buttstock for a slant cut mak-90 ,, if i have to file something down //// cut off a tang ,,etc. no problem as long as i end up with a solid stock that don't look butched --- you know ---p.s. stinker whats the chances of making one of the plates they send work on the vltor.. and also some folks say the tapco stock is junk any thoughts on who makes a good ar stock like what i'm lookin for that has a little bit of quality to it -----thanx
    Any mil spec diameter AR stock will work. I have one on a Norinco so I know it works.
    You can easily find pics of it attached if you search for it.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...hoto&FORM=IGRE

And yes. Tapco = Crap.
    The only thing they make worth a damn is the triggers and ONLY because it's a compliance issue.

As far as the dust covers that come with it, chances are zero. They're just a black plastic insert that fits in a notch over the stock tube to close up the hole on the back of a square cut receiver. It comes with three different sizes to match the most common receiver dimensions out there. You'll have to get a piece of metal or plastic and fab it to the right angle/length/etc to close up the back of the angle cut hole. Won't be difficult to do but also won't require any modification to the rifle itself.

Haven't played with any ace stocks that much so not sure how that'll work on yours. Got a link to something specific?
    Last edited by stinker; 03-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.

I ran into one AK that has a different length stock tang, with the holes not lining up with the stock but I can't remember which it was.

The receiver itself wouldn't have to be modified with a stock that has the AKM adapter on it. The sides of the adapter are what have to be filed slightly to fit in the Norinco receiver due to it's thicker metal.

Most people have not been happy with Tapco stocks. I have also read of one stock adapter that required the removal of the receiver tang, but I would avoid that like the plague. I would never do something to a Norinco that I couldn't undue and put it back to original, so any receiver mods are verboten.

cool really appreciate your input .on this between me and my gunsmith buddy we should be able to fill that gap with some blued steel of some sort ... you seem pretty up to speed on these , i'm definatly steering away from tapco ,,,so what do folks here recemend for a ar-15 atyle stock that will fit that tube ...don't need to be tops but good quality .. i should also ask your opinion on front end furniture for going full blown tactical and . i wonder if all this stuff comes in tan or green ,, choices choices huh really value your opinions and time thx's

Check https://www.apexgunparts.com/ to see if they have what you are looking for. They do have a tan Hogue pistol grip, front handguard set that comes with rails that you attach as needed. Find them under the 922(r) compliance parts listing.

I am sure others sell the parts you are looking for, but I can't help as to where. You might just try a search for M4 stock for AK and see what happens, as well as search for other handguards.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
    so what do folks here recemend for a ar-15 atyle stock that will fit that tube ...don't need to be tops but good quality .. i should also ask your opinion on front end furniture for going full blown tactical and .
    Magpul is cozy and mounts up rock solid to the tube, but there are others.
    Tapco anything (except trigger groups, strictly for compliance) i would not recommend however.

For front rails, Krebs or Midwest Industries would be the top two for quality.
    If you're gonna do it, do it right.

i wonder if all this stuff comes in tan or green ,, choices choices huh really value your opinions and time thx's
    Refinishing skills are your friend(sorta).
    You can make it any color and pattern you want then.

Just remember, you can't undo it and make it original again if you refinish it.
    You will forever destroy some of the collectors value by making it "not original" with a new type of finish.

We now have folding stocks specifically for the mak-90. Aside from the receiver being thicker, the tang is longer so most stocks will not fit. You can check ours out at bonesteelarms dot com