Thread: Reloading dies making brass flakes

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Reloading dies making brass flakes

I've had this happen before, but its become an issue again. The last time I reloaded .40 S&W I had brass flakes all over the place from the reloading dies. This got on the ammunition, and some of it was visible in the gun after use. The best I can tell this is being caused by the case flaring die. I'm using a Lee carbide 4 die set. The best I can come up with is to try and polish the case flaring die somehow, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

Has anyone ever polished a reloading die before or know how I could do it without getting them out of spec? Is this likely to even solve the brass flake problem? Could I avoid the problem by purchasing higher quality dies?

"flakes" or specs of brass all over the insides of the flaring die?

all my lee flaring dies have brass on them until I clean them up once in awhile.

You're pressing a SOFT metal against Carbide, guess which one is going to leave remnants.

take a brass brush and scrub a piece of steel with it and it does the same thing.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would concure, clean the expander button. A photo would be useful to see if you have something really bad going wrong vs. just usual amounts. You could always flare all your cases and then run them through a polisher for 15 minutes for clean up.