Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the NRA doing for US these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The FOPA was a great deal. That asshole Hughes from NJ snuck in the MG ban at the last second. Even Reagan didn't know about it.
    Actually it was Rangle that passed it. He had the gavel at the time and put the amendment up for a voice vote. The video of it surfaced last year. The votes were clearly NOT there. Yet Rangle, "deemed" it to have passed. And there it was. It was a sore pill put into the bill as an F.U. because they knew the FOPA was going to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    And if the 86 Firearms Owners Protection act hand't been signed ... you would still be showing your Driver's license and signing in a bound book for every purchase of any caliber of ammo that can fit in a handgun. Additionally mail order ammo, primers and powder would not be legal. Gun shows would never happen either. I'm not saying I'm happy about the MG ban but having had to sign the book to buy ammo I can say I am not unhappy with the passed act.
    I don't know if Regan knew it was there or not. Contrary to urban legend the amendment was not passed in the dead of night with no one knowing about it - see above post. The bill should have been scrapped and re done without the MG ban in it.

The NRA has really come a long way from its earlier authoritarian roots. They seem to be taking a much harder-line, no-compromise stance lately, after helping bring so many of our already existing gun control laws onto the books.

I don't agree with Wayne LaPierre's idea of putting armed cops in every single school (I'd much rather prefer teachers carrying concealed) because, as the ACLU pointed out, more cops could just lead to more kids getting sent to the cops for minor bullshit and possibly even getting criminal records for petty infractions... plus future shooters might just go straight for the armed cop and murder him first, if they think he's the only one in the whole school armed, then carry on with the rest of their slaughter. Much better for an unknown random teacher to possibly get the drop on a shooter instead.

But I agree -- the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. The NRA is right about that.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    As I recall the NRA did not want the "reasonable restrictions" part of the lawsuit Heller brought. Heller was OK with it so it went forward and now the "reasonable restrictions" is all we hear about since the SCOTUS ruled on it. Where exactly are these "rumors" about the NRA coming from the liberal media or organizations like the GOA that spend almost as much time and money targeting the NRA as they do anti-gun laws. Everyone can donate to whomever they want. Fact is most gun owners don't even bother to donate to any pro-gun organization.
    That "reasonable restrictions" is often mis quoted. Heller allows restrictions on strange or unusual firearms. They were talking about pen guns and cane guns, not about guns useful to a militia. In fact, Heller specifically protects guns in common use for lawful purposes. (that is now being mis quoted by anti's as common use in the home) and further names the M-16, by name, as being particularly suited to militia use. IMO a clear invitation to challenge the MG ban.

Bottom line though, IMO Heller established a strict scrutiny level on gun controls. While the failed to actually assign a scrutiny level, they did proclaim the 2A to be a fundamental right of the people. That "fundamental right" status has always (traditionally) had strict scrutiny attached to it for all other fundamental rights.

The anti's have had a full court press on trying to change (spin) what the text of Heller actually says. It is helpful to go back and read it from time to time, so as not to get something in your head that the anti's want you to "believe" Heller says; but in fact does not say.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    NRA was terrified about the Heller case. If it were decided against us, we would be screwed. Thankfully, we squeaked by 5-4 and won a great victory. But it could have gone the other way and that was what NRA was "against".
    We expected a 6-3 win but thought a 5-4 was possible. The odds of a loss were really quite slim. The problem is that the NRA has always wanted to "negotiate" rather than fight. It's who they are, just like the old lords of Scotland would "negotiate" rather than fight. Fact is, there had never been a better time to take it to SCOTUS in decades. It was time to strike and the NRA balked. In the end the NRA was on the wrong side of history.

It still boils my blood that the NRA is trying to take credit for the Heller victory when they fought so hard to get it tossed from trial. Why have none of the NRA defenders explained this hypocrisy?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    We expected a 6-3 win but thought a 5-4 was possible. The odds of a loss were really quite slim. The problem is that the NRA has always wanted to "negotiate" rather than fight. It's who they are, just like the old lords of Scotland would "negotiate" rather than fight. Fact is, there had never been a better time to take it to SCOTUS in decades. It was time to strike and the NRA balked. In the end the NRA was on the wrong side of history.

It still boils my blood that the NRA is trying to take credit for the Heller victory when they fought so hard to get it tossed from trial. Why have none of the NRA defenders explained this hypocrisy?
    Who is the "we" in "we expected". I'm guessing it's you and the GOA, correct? I'm pretty sure you can find other "pro-gun" organizations taking credit for something they only slightly had a hand in and usually no money. As I stated, to each their own. Put your money where ever you want.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I heard on Glen Beck radio show today that the NRA is still offering lifetime memberships for 300 bucks. The phone number he gave was: 855-NRA-BECK
    Guns Network member since January 2001

Illinois State Rifle Association

Glenn and the NRA will save America!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I don't agree with Wayne LaPierre's idea of putting armed cops in every single school (I'd much rather prefer teachers carrying concealed) because, as the ACLU pointed out, more cops could just lead to more kids getting sent to the cops for minor bullshit and possibly even getting criminal records for petty infractions... plus future shooters might just go straight for the armed cop and murder him first, if they think he's the only one in the whole school armed, then carry on with the rest of their slaughter. Much better for an unknown random teacher to possibly get the drop on a shooter instead.

But I agree -- the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. The NRA is right about that.
    Your reluctance to have a specific person like the SRO be the person with the gun, but a teacher usually doesn't have the training necessary. They might also get distracted and one of the students could take it from them. Or, if the students find out their teacher is the one carrying, the gun would scare some, fascinate others, and become a distraction in the classroom.
    No, I think a trained professional would be better.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    At least they are doing something.

And that is?

Selling life memberships?

That has direct bearing upon our rights, certainly!

You're part of the "black helicopter crowd" that Biden spoke of yesterday lol!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

And that is?

The NRA is doing a hell of a lot more for American gun owners rights than any kook posting End Of Times BS from his trailer.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I read somewhere recently that they were negotiating Universal Background checks that would require all private sales go through NICS.
    Really, because nearly every day I get an email reminder from them to write my senators and tell them to oppose UBC.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

At least they aren't actively fucking us like those who refuse to support pro-2A groups.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

And that is?

What they did for me this week was to come to my state and make a presentation in our Senate urging senators to do away with rediculous CCW laws in our state.

What did YOU do for my 2A rights this week? Anything? Beuller?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    What they did for me this week was to come to my state and make a presentation in our Senate urging senators to do away with rediculous CCW laws in our state.

What did YOU do for my 2A rights this week? Anything? Beuller?
    Let me know how that worked out for your state. All i ahve done today is eat pizza and do soem laundry, you?

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    The NRA is doing a hell of a lot more for American gun owners rights than any kook posting End Of Times BS from his trailer.
    Lol you mean like they supported Heller in his fight against the nwo?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Your reluctance to have a specific person like the SRO be the person with the gun, but a teacher usually doesn't have the training necessary. They might also get distracted and one of the students could take it from them. Or, if the students find out their teacher is the one carrying, the gun would scare some, fascinate others, and become a distraction in the classroom.
    No, I think a trained professional would be better.
    Not only that but I've know some really crazy fuckers that were teachers. Little Shanequa starts dissing the teach they might get blown away.

Let me know how that worked out for your state.
    It moved to the House Judiciary Committee. Thankfully one of my elected representatives is on the committee to argue in favor of this bill. (meant to say House and not Senate in my previous post).

All i ahve done today is eat pizza and do soem laundry, you?
    Pizza sounds pretty good. I traded about 9 hours of hard labor for cash monies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast