Thread: The world's biggest container ships prepare for delivery

The world's biggest container ships prepare for delivery

The world's biggest container ships prepare for delivery

The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Apr. 16 2013, 7:11 PM EDT

Last updated Tuesday, Apr. 16 2013, 7:31 PM EDT

In Asia and Europe, ports are preparing for a big arrival — a vessel taller than a 20-storey building, wider than most freeways and 12 times longer than a blue whale, the largest animal alive today. Maersk Line, the world's biggest container shipping operator, is expecting delivery of the first of 20 massive container ships of a new class called the Triple-E in late June.

No port in North or South America is currently able to take the vessels, nor are the newly expanded Panama Canal locks, due to open next year. The Triple-Es will squeeze through the Suez Canal, allowing them to service the China-to-Europe route, bringing in goods but returning mostly empty, save for some scrap metal and plastic waste for recycling.

The ships are called the Triple-E class for the three main purposes behind their creation — economy of scale, energy efficiency and environmental improvement. Four-hundred metres long, 59 metres wide and 73 metres high, Triple-Es will be the largest vessels of any type on the water. Its 18,000 TEU (20-foot container) capacity is large enough to hold 108 million pairs of sneakers.

Maersk Line, a unit of Danish group A.P. Moeller-Maersk, carries more than 15 per cent of all sea-borne containers. "When we bring in these bigger ships, we will take other ships out in order to make sure that overall we don't put more capacity into the trade than we need," said Tim Smith, Maersk’s North Asia chief.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...46/?cmpid=rss1

I wonder how many Chinese soldiers could fit on one? And how soon ports in the US will be able to take one? Or maybe theyll just use that huge port in the Bahamas?

http://rense.com/politics6/chinabahamas_p.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I wonder how many Chinese soldiers could fit on one?
    Given it can hold 108 million pairs of sneakers, I'd guess about 100 million chinese filled pairs of sneakers...
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

length and height vs. width seems very odd. 59 meters of width and 400 meters length makes it one long skinny stick in proportions.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Those ships will be full on the return trip. Full of jobs and IOU's.
    Returns June 3rd.

Great now we flood our country with even more Chinese made crap.

+1 on what Jefferson said.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Great now we flood our country with even more Chinese made crap.

+1 on what Jefferson said.
    Perhaps not seeing as how no port in the americas can handle it according to that report.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

I, for one, need 3 or 4 of those containers to make an indoor shooting range.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    I, for one, need 3 or 4 of those containers to make an indoor shooting range.
    You know I hear brinks has one that is in the back of a semi truck.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Is that a picture of the new ship?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Is that a picture of the new ship?
    According to the site and the caption....yes it is.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

When I first started working in 1995, Maersk was just launching the Regina Maersk, the then largest container ship in the world. It could hold about 6000 TEU (20' Container Equivalents, the unit used to to measure capacity of container vessels). It was considered a monster and a marvel at that time.

This one holds 3x as much! The limitations are, as the story references, the size of the Suez and Panama canals and the container port terminal crane / pier capacities. Also, I suspect harbor depth is an issue too, the bigger the ship, the deeper the draft. There are containers under the deck inside the hull also, obviously.