Thread: Newb buying first AK

Newb buying first AK

First post. Been wanting an AK for a while, and with draconian legislation recently passed in MD, NOW was the time to pull the trigger. The variations and quality seem to be all over the place and it's confusing to an AK novice. Atlantic seems to have a good rep, and they have been outstanding partners in our legislative fight over gun control here in MD. Anyway, I'm really just looking for a decent shooter, and if it's interesting to look at, that's a plus. This Maadi seems to fit the bill.

Here's what I decided on. Hope it's not a mistake. Thoughts?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

Newb buying first AK

Nice congrats. Hope it shoots well for you. Bullets will cost you more than the gun now a days unfortunately.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet. I predict you will not like that folding stock. I would suggest a fixed stock, much nicer for shooting, gives you a place to cheek the stock. With a wire side folder like that your cheek will not be on the stock, your jaw bone will be. I see other AK rifles at Atlantic below $900, serioiusly consider one of those.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
    Here you go the fixed stock version, you'll like shooting this much better.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-10-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Side and under folding stocks are personal preference and some people love them, some hate them. Myself, I learned to shoot a long time ago without welding my cheek to the stock, which sounds painful. (old timers here are probably tired of hearing me say it). I learned to shoot a pistol without welding my cheek to the slide, so a rifle with a stock is no problem.

There are some people that have to shove their face against the stock, and if you are one of those you might like the Maadi for it's "evil" look, but will find it very uncomfortable to shoot. Unless you have already ordered the rifle, I suggest going with a fixed stock AK variant. Getting one from Atlantic is highly recommended. I have dealt with them before, and had some nice chats with Blaine, really a nice guy. I don't think you can go wrong with most of what Atlantic sells, not to mention they stand behind what they sell.

Thanks, I thought about the stock. I have a Kel-Tec Sub2k so I'm not unfamiliar with a poor/non-existant cheek weld. I'm assuming that stocks are fairly easily swapped out if I change my mind though?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

That would be a good first AK, let the second be a full stocked model... they multiply like rabbits you know...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
    Thanks, I thought about the stock. I have a Kel-Tec Sub2k so I'm not unfamiliar with a poor/non-existant cheek weld. I'm assuming that stocks are fairly easily swapped out if I change my mind though?
    Most stocks are held in by two screws, so yes they are easy to swap. There are some AK variants like the AMD-65 where the rear trunion (the part that holds the stock in place) is a physical part of the stock and riveted to the receiver. Lots of hard work to change to a fixed stock. I believe this Maadi assembly uses a standard fixed stock rear trunion, so as long as you use a European stock, swapping back and forth will be easy.

Re: Newb buying first AK

Nice rifle and a good price. Have fun and post pics

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure about the rifle but I can also vouch for Atlantic Firearms. I ordered a sweet russian red saiga from them last summer and had no problems.