Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun powder ban coming?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    You want 48 pounds of powder? LOL....you and what army. You could reload for a couple of infantry squads if you had the brass.

I haven't seen any 4895 in a while...Hogdon or IMR. I use Hogdon Benchmark in my .308.
    Literally for 5.56 NATO 48 lbs. of powder would load 13,280 rounds if you didn't spill any and used a 25.3 gr. charge. Winchester 844 as an example with the 62 gr. SS109 bullet and that powder charge gives you your own M855 ball load.

I myself have 8K in 5.56 cases, fully half of which are not loaded yet. I seem to load 3 or 4 hundred then go shoot them so I never get ahead.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Literally for 5.56 NATO 48 lbs. of powder would load 13,280 rounds if you didn't spill any and used a 25.3 gr. charge. Winchester 844 as an example with the 62 gr. SS109 bullet and that powder charge gives you your own M855 ball load.

I myself have 8K in 5.56 cases, fully half of which are not loaded yet. I seem to load 3 or 4 hundred then go shoot them so I never get ahead.

I have 2000+ loaded up, 3000+ cases, powder and primers.....just got caught short on bullets and now can't get any it seems. And i ain't about to waste any shooting for awhile if I can't replace them.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

This is nothing but a direct shot at sport shooters.

I would think that the best homemade explosive would be anfo.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

.223 or .308 or a mixture of the two?

My .308 is lessor... I have more in cases...

I have 2000+ loaded up, 3000+ cases, powder and primers.....just got caught short on bullets and now can't get any it seems. And i ain't about to waste any shooting for awhile if I can't replace them.
    My best advise is to keep checking Widener's in Johnson City, TN every day. They get stuff in but they don't keep it long, no surprise there given the current climate. Check under; Reloading Components, Rifle bullets, Bulk and then select the weight range you are looking for. They have nothing in stock right now, but who knows come Monday. If you order 5,000 of any bullet type usually they will pick up the postage.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I would think that the best homemade explosive would be anfo.
    It is but you aren't going to get it with 5%, has to be much higher Nitrogen content and 0, 0 for the other two. Then there's the small problem of you need a blasting cap to set it off. This isn't Tannerite and even a pipe bomb shoved in a barrel of it wouln't initiate it from all I've .... "read" about it.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    My best advise is to keep checking Widener's in Johnson City, TN every day. They get stuff in but they don't keep it long, no surprise there given the current climate. Check under; Reloading Components, Rifle bullets, Bulk and then select the weight range you are looking for. They have nothing in stock right now, but who knows come Monday. If you order 5,000 of any bullet type usually they will pick up the postage.
    Before the great hoarding set in, I could always find bullets when I wanted to reload. I haven't needed to order on line in years...but then always just picked up a couple hundred at a time. I was one of them that got caught by surprise at how fast the reloading components dissappeared. I did have primers and cases stored up, and was working on powder and bullets.

The only thing I'm really short on is .308 and .38SP/.357 brass, but I can make do.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

It is but you aren't going to get it with 5%, has to be much higher Nitrogen content and 0, 0 for the other two. Then there's the small problem of you need a blasting cap to set it off. This isn't Tannerite and even a pipe bomb shoved in a barrel of it wouln't initiate it from all I've .... "read" about it.
    I had a response typed up and then thought better of posting in the current climate. PM inbound with my responce.

Doesn't anyone remember the formula a member came up with for making your own tannerite. I would think that if a bullet impact would set it off, a small explosive charge would also. I don't know that it would, I just would think it could.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

.223 or .308 or a mixture of the two?
    That is just .223...

I figured the 48# and it will reload +/-12,000 .223 or +/-8,000 of .308. That does not seem horribly excessive to me. I've found load data for the 846 for use in .223, .308 and 7.62x54 and I'm set up for all three. The 844 seems to do a little better in .223, so I was going to get maybe 3 x 8# of each.

I have casings and bullets for .308 and 7.62x54 also. I have dies and re-loadable ammo for 7.62x39 and 8mm. I have over forty sets of dies and a number of bullet molds and at least a few bullets and cases for most.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 04-22-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12