Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK ratings of quality

AK ratings of quality

I would like to purchase another AK and have had the opportunity to get Polish, Egyptian, Hungarian, and others. I've been told to avoid Romanian and Century. Advice is appreciated. thanks

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Hungarian all the way!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

My Romanian SAR 1 is the best shooting AK I have ever fired. Hungarian AK's are really nice too. The wood and finish are much better than the Romanian Sar 1. Are you looking for a shooter or collector AK?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Hungarian all the way!
    Absolutely there is IMHO nothing quite as nice as a SA85

generally speaking ,the hungarians are supposed to be nicer

The Hungarian SA85 is a great rifle. Mine is a safe queen. I got a Romanian SAR 1 as a shooter and it does shoot great. It is not as pretty, but it hits bulleye every time.

I like most here own russian,chinese and romanian.
    The Romanian SAR-1 would be my favorite,and is most often overlooked even by the AK crowd.
    You can find them in the 400-500 range,unlike my arsenal.
    And with a little extra work you can change out the gasblock and thread the barrel.
    And you will still spend waaay less than you would if you went with a chinese.
    you can find the romanian sar1 for sale at gunshows and from time to time they show up on armslist.

So another vote for a romanian sar1.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

Yes Chinese, But Pre-Ban!(1983-1989) Love my China Sport's Norinco Type-56S-1 Underfolder, would not trade it for a Truck full of Thumbholes!

The Arsenal SGL-21 and SGL-31 are top notch, made in Russia and sport chrome-lined cold hammer forged barrels.

The milled arsenals are great too but really friggin expensive.

The bulgarians are great if you can get one with the origional barrel.

The Romanians are fine for what most people want them to do.

If you can score an old Norinco or Polytech it's a great find.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I like 'em all. The early Norinco and Polytech models are very well made.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group and forgive me, deja vu all over again!

Any factory made Europeaon or Chinesse AKs are good. The Romanians may need to be inspected first. If you don't mind single stack mags, and a thumbhole stock, the Serbian (former Hungarian) is decent for the money (Papa...I don't remember it's name). Right now, I tend to like the Bulgarian and Russian, for new Aks.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Exclamation

The Preban Kassnar Hungarian AKM was the best Preban ever made! I know I owned SN: 01072 and I regret to this day Selling it. The only thing that come's close today, are the Bulgarian's from Arsenal.

Building an AMD-63 presently.
    Hungarian is extremely good in the commie block goods.
    Polish, or Bulgarian isn't hateful either.

Romanian goods are hit and miss.
    Although I've have a great Romy kit that outshoots about any other AK
    variant. ( a fluke)

Like they say now days,
    "it is what it is."
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

I agree, well made Romainian SAR's are some of the best shooting and most accurate AK's by far that I have fired.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Hungarian SA-85M rifles are top quality. Bulgarian SLR-93 and 95 rifles are ugly because of their stocks, but top quality mechanically. They will have milled receivers and heavier early patern barrels. The Hugarian rifles will have slimmer AKM weight barrels. Most will have the thumbhole stock that is also ugly but their receivers are normal so a standard AK stock will fit them just fine.

Chinese Polytech AK rifles are pretty good. Standard NORINCO Mak 90's can be spotty for bore quality. I've seen some that were like files inside due to the tooling marks left on the lands. If the lands look smooth and shiny like a mirror, it's good. If you see circular dark looking scratches on the tops of the lands, pass on it. Also look at the rifling at the muzzle crown. If the lands are uniform and sharp = good. If you see rounded edges or variation from one land to the other = pass on it, (unless you're going to get a muzzle crowning tool and fix the screwed up rifling).

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga1 View Post
    I would like to purchase another AK and have had the opportunity to get Polish, Egyptian, Hungarian, and others. I've been told to avoid Romanian and Century. Advice is appreciated. thanks
    I like the Yugo M-70...

Reliable and built like a tank on an RPK reciever... what's there not to love?
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Yugo's are definitely front line rifles.

If you get into the 90's production line.
    Then, get ready for the best stuff ever conceived by Zastava.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

I've only had experience with a WASR and my arsenal sgl-21. I can say from those 2 that the sgl-21 is FAR superior. The wasrs are know for canted sights, poor build quality and bad accuracy. I shot one that would not feed hollow points to save it's life. Some wasrs, if you get luck, work out just fine or have been fixed. The SGL-21 is made of all new parts from a saiga 7,62x39 and is converted by Arsenal inc here in the U.S. Top tier in every aspect. Takes around 800 rounds to break in but is butter after that. Never had any failures.

Not to mention that ak47 accessories fit better on them

Last edited by Alpha_Male; 11-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.

I cast my vote for Arsenal SGL-21 and SGL-31 also their 74s. I also vote for the AMD-65 the real Hungarian one imported and 922r fixed by TGI. Hard to find but they are great.

Last edited by runningbear; 03-05-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast