Thread: Ak barrel with higher twist rate question?

Ak barrel with higher twist rate question?

Okay so I bought my gun in Mass and since I live in New Hampshire I want to have a muzzle brake and a bayonet installed on a barrel and since the iron sight is slightly off I was thinking since I want a little more accuracy out of my Ak, I might as well get a new barrel with a higher twist rate I don't know if you guys have any idea where I could get one and if its even a good call so here I am asking for your advice thanks a lot.

Whoke I'm here I also might what to ask if you guys know of any good muzzle brakes or flash suppressors that reduce felt recoil thanks.

Molon labe.

Soaren

Also I was thinking of having an SKS style spike bayonet installed on my barrel to fold out from the left side because I plan on having a foregrip is that a good idea? I really don't trust the knife style bayonet that Ak normally come with.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Short 123 gr. AK bullets won't benefit from a different twist rate. It would be a custom barrel and would cost more than the entire rifle.

On the spike bayonet folding out from the side like an M44 Mosin Nagant I would say ... why? Also why don't you "Trust" a blade type bayonet? Spikers are good for stabbing stuff only, can't cut anything with them. For most folks, I suppose it might be good for roasting hot dogs or Marshmallows over the campfire. A knife type bayonet is a lot stronger and you can use it as a camp knife. You can cut rope, cloth, meat and use it as a fighting knife if not mounted. Can't do any of that with a spike.

On the foregrip are you meaning a forward pistol grip / vertical grip? On the AK becaue of the rock in mag design you have to either have a short one or put it way out there. If you don't it gets in the way of insertiion and removal of the magazine.

Oh and lastly, welcome to Gunset!

Intresting set of questions. what kind of ak var. do you have? as far as i know aks' are not known for real tight accuracy, but i will say welcome to this forum.
    hang on you will prolly get better insight than mine.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Don't do those things to your AK.

It's fine the way it is. They are great, reliable carbines that are actually quite underrated accuracy-wise. Within a reasonable distance they will hit exactly what you're aiming at and hit it hard. You won't be winning any long distance shooting contests, but hitting a man size target center of mass out to three hundred yards is so easy, even an illiterate, half starved conscript can do it.

Playing with th twist rate will only bugger it up. If it ain't broke don't break it.

And that blade bayonet? Those are hella rare! It's usually a spiker. In any case, you can stabify zombies in their ugly zombie face when you need to conserve ammo. That's boss.

AFA the forward grip goes? If you really need one you can swap handguards without doing permanent damage. Might have to modify an aftermarket grip to accept the bayonet, but it woud be pretty cool.

But don't go all buba on it and start cutting up a perfectly good shooter. Just remember:

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 05-08-2013 at 01:35 AM.

If you want more long range accuracy from the 7.62x39 round, get yourself an AR platform with an 18 barrel for that caliber, preferably nitride coated hammer forged. Then you can put a vertical foregrip on it too and have more selection of bayonet types for the front end if you get a gas block with a lug. AK is what is. My buddy says if you can hit a paper plate at 150 yds with the AK, that's essentially the vitals on any person.

** Contributor 01/2013 **

Cool accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Short 123 gr. AK bullets won't benefit from a different twist rate. It would be a custom barrel and would cost more than the entire rifle.

On the spike bayonet folding out from the side like an M44 Mosin Nagant I would say ... why? Also why don't you "Trust" a blade type bayonet? Spikers are good for stabbing stuff only, can't cut anything with them. For most folks, I suppose it might be good for roasting hot dogs or Marshmallows over the campfire. A knife type bayonet is a lot stronger and you can use it as a camp knife. You can cut rope, cloth, meat and use it as a fighting knife if not mounted. Can't do any of that with a spike.

On the foregrip are you meaning a forward pistol grip / vertical grip? On the AK becaue of the rock in mag design you have to either have a short one or put it way out there. If you don't it gets in the way of insertiion and removal of the magazine.

Oh and lastly, welcome to Gunset!

For accuracy, the most important upgrade is the trigger. Get a RSA adjustable one or a Tapco. For a longer barrel, popular wisdom is that it's too labor intensive. Using a good muzzle brake and a recoil buffer should be considered essential.

An AK will shoot anything anytime. They are finicky on accuracy. Mine likes heavy bullets and steel cases. Be sure the bullet diameter is 311 and not 308. Those aren't unsafe to fire. Neither is brass. They'll go bang each time but won't hit the broadside of a barn.

Mine likes Tula and S&B.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!! Sorry for not answering sooner.

Just a note, Mr. Kalashnikov designed his rifle to shoot about an 8 inch group at 150 yards, and while not competition accurate, when you think of what it's intended target is, 8 inch groups will do quite well.

Funny thing is that most people find their ATF approved AK variant is more accurate than what was originally intended. If I was wanting to make an AK variant more accurate there are two things I would start with. A good trigger group and a good muzzle crown. The last thing I would want if shooting for accuracy would be a muzzle device not designed to make a rifle more accurate, and the best recoil dampers aren't well known for accuracy.

That said, after recrowning the muzzle and getting a good feeling trigger installed, a muzzle brake for the AMD-65 or an AK-74 style brake set up for the 7.62x39 would be a great choice. Either cut felt recoil dramatically. Many people complain that they make the rifle louder, but isn't that part of the fun?

About the only thing you have to pay attention to is the side blast. Both brakes deflect the gases to the sides very nicely, and if someone is standing next to you when you shoot, it would get their attention in a hurry. Also on a bench it would be very easy to soot up something to your side. Just a heads up on that.

As for installing a bayo, it's your rifle, and another fun part of owning an AK variant is making yours a one of a kind personal rifle.