As you guys well know, the rule is supposed that for all domestically manufactured ammo or imported ammo, the MILITARY gets first crack at it (acquiring it for their supply chain), SECOND, the U.S. Government gets 2nd crack at it for their 'domestic enforcement agencies', and the THIRD, the civilian market. So we're last on the priority list for selling ammo. Normally this makes sense and has never been a problem until now.

Several things which really perplexed me:

1) A buddy who is a big wholesaler/retailer in guns and ammo had a line on a huge amount of South American Surplus 5.56mm FMJ. I'm talking about MILLIONS of rounds. But after the ammo cleared customs, the importer informed my friend that the U.S. Government had bought the ammo right out from under him, paying premium prices akin to factory Remington or Winchester ammo. WTF? So an entire cargo ship of surplus foreign ammo is now gone. But I'm thinking, who in their right mind is going to issue SURPLUS South American 5.56mm? I wouldn't trust this stuff except for plinking. Would a soldier trust it? Would a SWAT team member trust SURPLUS south American 5.56mm? Who would use this stuff? And why did the Feds just snap up a major shipment of surplus ammo? What for?

2) Being that ammo is like gold, I'm wondering, what is going on with all those foreign ammo producers? Russia? Brazil? etc? The American ammo market is a gold mine right now. I'd figure that these guys would ramp up production and make a killing. But why haven't they? Are they being blocked from selling us any of their ammo (more than they've been allotted in the past?)

Thoughts? This is unsettling because it makes no sense.