Thread: Questions about tactical shotguns.

Question Questions about tactical shotguns.

Hello Y'all,

Right now, I do not own a shotgun of any kind. I gave my brother my Remington 870 last Fall as his birthday was coming up and he'd been invited to a friend's hunting camp to shoot poor wittle ducks. Anyway, I need a shotgun and I like the tactical look (pistol grip, etc). Are these shotguns very versatile? Could you shoot skeet, or fowl, with them? Well, likely not hunt with them b/c of their capacity, so trap shooting?
    Here are some that've caught my eye: 1) USSG SAR PASP is well priced, but how good a shotgun is it? 2) The Remington 870 Express Tactical, how does this rate with you all? 3) The CZ 612 HC-P - I lean towards this one as I have many CZ firearms and their quality is second to none. I've never handled or fired one of their shotgun, though. 4) Savage's Stevens resurection - the 350 pump. Great price. Outside of that, any suggestions are welcome. Pistol grip, maximum possible capacity in a 12g, a multi-position stock would be great - or at least the ability to EASILY after market one on, and, of course, sights front and back. Versatility, too - I've seen that Kel-Tec bull pup monster!

Thanks!
    Pano

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet!!

I'm not familiar with the models you've listed so can't help you with those. That being said there's nothing wrong with going back to a Remington 870 or perhaps a Mossberg 500/590. Both are available new and used in a variety of models and probably have more accessories available then any other shotgun on the market.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Any of those options will suit you.

I also highly reccomend Mossberg. You can find a 590a1 with ghost ring sights, magnum chamber and military barrel profile for less than the Remington. There are also a LOT of aftermarket stock and grip options for them so you can customize to your heart's content.

If going duck hunting, the Fudd's will tend to think you "unworthy" if you bring a door breecher though. Hopefuly your friends aren't like that but let's just say I've never met gun owners so ignorant, prejudiced and opinionated and the ones who specialize in sports that involve expensive scatter guns.

You could probably find and old wingmaster or department store duck gun at a pawn shop for pennies compared to your other picks.

"Tactical? Practical? Versatile?" It's a 12 guage, they all do the same thing. They'll do it just fine with a wood monte carlo. Other than folding stocks or similar items the aftermarket stuff is mostly for looks.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 05-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I like to bird hunt and I wanted a shotgun option for home defense. I bought a new, 20", IC, rifle sighted barrel for my 870 and am pretty happy. Not quite as cool looking as the tactical but for me it meets both uses quite well. Here are some pictures;

Ready for hunting with a 30" vent rib barrel and REMCHOKE with the plug installed.

Set for home defense I remove the plug and the barrel specifics are listed above.

It takes about a minute to change the barrel from one to the other and the extra barrel cost only about $120 vice $400+ for another shotgun.

As to whether you can use a tactical shotgun for hunting, the only problem I can think of is chokes. I am not sure how easy it is to put a new barrel on a tactical shotgun and the barrel on the tactical will not have the variable choke that is common in most hunting shotguns now.

Welcome to the board! Hope to see more posts from you.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've been wanting a Mossberg 930 JM pro, specifically the 22" 8 shot model.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/sho...tactical-class
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Buy a SPAS-12 or MKA 1919 and be sure to really impress the fudds.

Quote Originally Posted by Panoply76 View Post
    Hello Y'all,

Right now, I do not own a shotgun of any kind. I gave my brother my Remington 870 last Fall as his birthday was coming up and he'd been invited to a friend's hunting camp to shoot poor wittle ducks. Anyway, I need a shotgun and I like the tactical look (pistol grip, etc). Are these shotguns very versatile? Could you shoot skeet, or fowl, with them? Well, likely not hunt with them b/c of their capacity, so trap shooting?
    Here are some that've caught my eye: 1) USSG SAR PASP is well priced, but how good a shotgun is it? 2) The Remington 870 Express Tactical, how does this rate with you all? 3) The CZ 612 HC-P - I lean towards this one as I have many CZ firearms and their quality is second to none. I've never handled or fired one of their shotgun, though. 4) Savage's Stevens resurection - the 350 pump. Great price. Outside of that, any suggestions are welcome. Pistol grip, maximum possible capacity in a 12g, a multi-position stock would be great - or at least the ability to EASILY after market one on, and, of course, sights front and back. Versatility, too - I've seen that Kel-Tec bull pup monster!

Thanks!
    Pano
    FN SLP 18" ! Trust me you will love it, it is scary fast