Thread: Had an archery accident. A small pic of the injury.

was_peacemaker

Had an archery accident. A small pic of the injury.

I knew better and fired a cracked arrow out of a 56# longbow and the whole arrow blew up in the release..I mean like shattered into splinters. Anyway the last 1/4 of the arrow and the string slapped into my arm right behind the the arm guard and fortunately the arm guard keep the shattered piece of shaft and the string from doing further damage to my wrist. At least the is what appears to have happened. I know dumb move...but I was winding down for the evening and had an old beater arrow...and I thought it would break on impact...not blow up in the release. This was a couple of days ago...so it appears to be healing. Sorry the pic is a bit grainy. but you get the idea.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Good welt. I almost didn't open this up because I was expecting an arrow through some part of the body or a good cut from a broad head. I am sure that hurt like heck though. Glad it is getting better.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I question why anyone would make a post like this. It is trivial in nature and shows a lack of good judgment at two levels; 1 using the cracked arrow that you knew was bad and 2 making the post in the 2nd place.

You have apparently never heard of Archers Paradox! Arrows get absolutely abused when shot from a bow. That is why you should never shoot an arrow that does not have enough spine for the bow you are shooting. Also, and you learned the hard way, you never shoot a broken arrow!

A cracked arrow or a cracked bow limb is bout as dangerous as a cracked barrel.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I question why anyone would make a post like this. It is trivial in nature and shows a lack of good judgment at two levels; 1 using the cracked arrow that you knew was bad and 2 making the post in the 2nd place.
    A lot of posts are trivial. I am just sharing an experience....some call it shooting the breeze. I thought the arrow would break on impact not blow up in the bow. I now have learned.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    A cracked arrow or a cracked bow limb is bout as dangerous as a cracked barrel.
    +1000...you are right.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    You have apparently never heard of Archers Paradox! Arrows get absolutely abused when shot from a bow. That is why you should never shoot an arrow that does not have enough spine for the bow you are shooting. Also, and you learned the hard way, you never shoot a broken arrow!

Yep I have learned....and that is a good video. Flex testing is something I am working on also.