Thread: Dent in a 30 round mag!!!!

Dent in a 30 round mag!!!!

Hey there guys/gals!!
    I have a 5.56 norinco and one of my 30 rounders has a small dent on the front of the mag about 3-4 inches down on the left side. At first I didn't think anything about it until I tried to load it! It only holds about 15 rounds before the left side bullets tip just barely rubs the dent and causes it to hang up. I am able to push them past it however it does not flow well. I tried to force it out with a small crowbar thing that I have to remove nails. Needless to say its a steal mag and it would not budge. I was thinking of possibly finding a dremmel tool to sand the inside down just a hair to see if fit will work?!

Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Shotgunbobby1

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Go to a welding shop or metal supply and buy a piece of ¾" square stock steel about 12" long. Clamp it to a bench or in a suitable vise. slide the mag onto your new "mag anvil" and beat the dent out with a rubber mallet. I've done this with a couple of dozen surplus mags.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Interesting in deed!! Thanks!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

depending on where/how you clamp it you may want it a little longer....
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    depending on where/how you clamp it you may want it a little longer....
    That Sir is what she said!!

Welcome SGBobby1
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Go to a welding shop or metal supply and buy a piece of ¾" square stock steel about 12" long. Clamp it to a bench or in a suitable vise. slide the mag onto your new "mag anvil" and beat the dent out with a rubber mallet. I've done this with a couple of dozen surplus mags.
    ^^^ this, only you may want to go with a 1/2"x3/4" to get it inside the mag. not sure the inside dims of teh mag, but 3/4" sounds a bit much