Thread: Damaged receiver?

Damaged receiver?

Had my AK apart for cleaning and when I put the selector lever back on I couldn't get it to go forward, forgot to pull the trigger while doing this and instead took a screw drive and tried to push the hammer to the side a bit so the selector lever would clear it.

Put a bit of force on the receiver from the angle I was using the screwdriver and noticed the right side of the AK receiver flexing as I was doing this, ie I could see the sheet metal actually move outward and flex back inward a little bit (under quarter inch)

Could I have damaged the receiver??? Would this cause the receiver to fail or anything like that?

I can't take it to the range at the moment but I put a mag in it and cycled to see if it chambered and ejects and it does.

Anything to worry about???

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

possibly, possibly not.

it is an ak. they aint space shuttles, "close enough" were the only tolerances kept on them.

1- dont do that again.

2- as long as nothing was permanently disfigured (bent/cracked, ect) you should be ok.

what i probably would do, if it were me, would be o remove the fcg to make sure nothing is messed up.

WELCOME!!!!

deth pretty much nailed it.

Hope to see more posts from you.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

ROMAK100

I also agree w/ deth.
    Pull up a chair and stay awhile.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Belated welcome to the group !!!

As said above, as long as you didn't cause any visible cracks or a permanent bend, I wouldn't worry about it. You would not believe how much an AKM variant flexes when it fires. It almost looks like rubber.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    welcome to the group!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Did you damage anything, if it doesn't look damaged it probably isn't. Just don't do THAT again and lastly welcome to Gunsnet.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    possibly, possibly not.

it is an ak. they aint space shuttles, "close enough" were the only tolerances kept on them.

1- dont do that again.

2- as long as nothing was permanently disfigured (bent/cracked, ect) you should be ok.

what i probably would do, if it were me, would be o remove the fcg to make sure nothing is messed up.
    this and

I have done that too if it still shoots ok its fine..... Worst case it starts jamming then take a BFH and wack the shit out of the bent side ..