Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, Rights Violated

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, Rights Violated

Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Breaking the law in the name of the law!

In a police state they drag you out of sight off the road and kick the snot out of you for disrespecting their authority.

This, while rude and unprofessional, was a legal search.

Yeah, not so much.

Tell us all about your time spent living in police states hero. It might be worth a chuckle.

why bonnie and clyde came up with "Whippets"
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Yeah, not so much.

Tell us all about your time spent living in police states hero. It might be worth a chuckle.
    Not what I meant.

This guy isn't going to change the nature of roadside stops, he's not championing civil rights, nor even really exposing any hidden violations.

You wanna know who he really is?...He's the jackass that wants to argue endlessly with the cops while you sit behind him in line with your license ready, so you can open your window, flash your ID, let the cop have a sniff for booze, so you can be on your way.

Oh, sure, you have the right to argue if you want, but please pull to the side and argue there. Because frankly I have other stuff that I'd like to do. There is no issue with simply going through the easy motions and being on your way. In the end you will be far LESS violated that way.

One can argue that if we all asserted our rights then things would change...yes, that is true, the whole process would simply take longer as everyone gets asked to step out for being a pain in the ass.

No, I'm not saying consent to some big invasive search, we know what they are after here, do the reasonable minimum thing and be on your way (unless you are drunk of course...and if you are than thank you officer for getting another POS off the road).

The kid was stammering like he didn't know how to roll down his window or what his age was, I probably would have thought he was high also.

Roll down window, answer "21", "Nope, haven't been drinking" "Thanks officer, you stay safe too"....and it's over and done with

Lets face it, the kid got exactly what he wanted in the first place, to pester a cop on tape.

Yup, roll over and expose your belly to the state to make sure you don't inconvenience the cowering sheep behind you. Avert your eyes and maybe they wont kick you today like the craven dog you are. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Yup, roll over and expose your belly to the state to make sure you don't inconvenience the cowering sheep behind you. Avert your eyes and maybe they wont kick you today like the craven dog you are. Fuck.

Baloney. What the cops did was perfectly legal.

Was that less invasive than what I describe? Hell, you don't even have to pull your license. The whole thing can essentially be

"Have you been drinking?"

"Nope."

Officer looks at you and takes a quick sniff and says "Be safe."

Over and done with.

The kid gave the same info, just took longer and caused him more annoyance.

Not saying you have to bend over, just do the minimum and move on. It's going to happen one way or the other, no need to make it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

The kid wanted to be hassled, and the police obliged him. I thought that was pretty considerate of them actually.

The problem is: if we keep playing along and cooperating with such invasive check-points, its only going to get worse and worse down the road.

What legal right do the police have to cast such a wide net and stop EVERYONE on any given stretch of road in the first place? 99% of the cars passing through are legit, law-abiding citizens.

So why should they all be treated as suspects, just because a few assholes drive drunk and break the law?

What's wrong with just pulling over cars that are driving erratically and targeting only them instead of every swinging dick going about their own legit business?

These check-points are bad news, and I don't blame a few rebels for trying to throw a monkey-wrench in the cogs of the wheel of our burgeoning police state.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    The problem is: if we keep playing along and cooperating with such invasive check-points, its only going to get worse and worse down the road.
    What's so invasive about it?

"Hey buddy, are you shitfaced?"

Nope.

"Move along"

Are you seriously arguing that is so unreasonably invasive?

The 4th of July weekend sees on average just under 500 traffic deaths, about half are alcohol related. (Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2008 data)

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...#ixzz2YE5gs7ih

What legal right do the police have to cast such a wide net and stop EVERYONE on any given stretch of road in the first place? 99% of the cars passing through are legit, law-abiding citizens. So why should they all be treated as suspects, just because a few assholes drive drunk and break the law?
    Michigan v. Sitz case, SCOTUS found that the intrusion and inconvenience to individuals who are stopped is outweighed by the government’s interest in curbing drunk driving.

And you know what, it's totally worth it. My kid drives, I drive, my mom drives, I assume you drive...I don't want any of those people dead because of a stupid drunk

What's wrong with just pulling over cars that are driving erratically and targeting only them instead of every swinging dick going about their own legit business?
    Traffic moves, cops move, they miss too many

These check-points are bad news, and I don't blame a few rebels for trying to throw a monkey-wrench in the cogs of the wheel of our burgeoning police state.
    Every time they get a drunk off the road we are safer, I loathe drunk drivers.

But if you want to toss in that monkey wrench then I won't deprive you of that right, but please be considerate and pull to the side so the police can cavity search you for half the night while the rest of us go by...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    The 4th of July weekend sees on average just under 500 traffic deaths, about half are alcohol related. (Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2008 data)
    Simple solution; ban cars.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Simple solution; ban cars.
    That would be one solution...can't say I'm in favor of it, but yep, it would drastically cut down on drunk driving.

I wouldn't be so against a breathalyzer in every car in order to start it.

Not for it exactly, but not as against it as most might be.

Hell, if we did that I think it should either take your picture, bio-identify you, or lock you in and call the police.

We could make a new charge of "attempt to drive under the influence"...maybe just a small fine the first time

I guess my problem is just this idea that everyone should have to undergo extra scrutiny just because of the acts of a irresponsible few. I can understand it in sensitive places like airports or political events or what not, where everyone has to go through the scanners and metal-detectors due to the very real risk of terrorism or assassination. But those are confined places, not open public road.

Freedom to travel without molestation is (was) one of the hall-marks of America. Unlike certain other countries that have all these check-points asking for papers and what not just to travel from town to town or from state to state. I just fear that's where we are headed: more and more check-points, with more opportunities for law enforcement to violate people's 4th Amendment rights.

These DUI check-points desensitize the public into accepting the "inconvenience", making it easier for the government to get away with it for other reasons down the road.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

LAGC, generally they put the checkpoints up in high risk areas, near bars or party spots but before people get on the highway.

I agree that people should be generally free to travel without undue molestation, but first I, and the courts agree, that it isn't an undue burden.

Secondly, it's partly our own fault, not every individual, but society hasn't decided to take the issue seriously enough for enough people to be responsible about it.

If we as a nation would stop saying "Eh, one or two, I'm fine to drive" then we wouldn't have this problem, and crap like this wouldn't be necessary.

Considering it's the cops who are the one's who generally have to scrape the corpses off the streets, I don't blame them in the least for taking this seriously.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

What's so invasive about it?
    It's a search without probable cause or a warrant. Hows that? I really have to wonder about you. How about the cops stop you at your front door when you're leaving for work and search you? Would you be alright with that? Afterall, it's for the children.

not really true kadmos. i have been through 4 roadblocks, in the last few years and only 1 was anywhere near a bar. the rest were basically in the middle of nothing.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    It's a search without probable cause or a warrant. Hows that? I really have to wonder about you. How about the cops stop you at your front door when you're leaving for work and search you? Would you be alright with that? Afterall, it's for the children.
    Apples and oranges. It's hardly a "search", it's checking to make sure drivers are physically safe for the road. Unless given a good reason (probable cause) then no further "search" takes place.

This isn't coming to your home, this isn't looking for political dissidents, or certain religious people, this is figuring out if people operating 1,000+ pounds of metal, plastic, and glass on public roads can currently do so safely.

We all had to take a test to get the license in the first place, it's obvious the state has an interest in the abilities of individual operators, this is a quick check to see that we are ok to continue doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x
    not really true kadmos. i have been through 4 roadblocks, in the last few years and only 1 was anywhere near a bar. the rest were basically in the middle of nothing.
    Here they tend to be downtown, near the fair, or the Landing (bars). I've only actually been through 1 ever, whole thing took about 15 seconds, and most of that was chatting with the officer while the car in front dealt with a different officer.

From what I've heard they now have some cops who are doing it while directing traffic, since it's often jammed while leaving the fair or other events the cops chat the drivers for a couple seconds to see if they smell booze.

In a police state they drag you out of sight off the road and kick the snot out of you for disrespecting their authority.

This, while rude and unprofessional, was a legal search.

The dog "alert" was BS so this was not a legal search. What you say about a police state may be true, but the precursors to a police state are clearly in place.

LAGC, generally they put the checkpoints up in high risk areas, near bars or party spots but before people get on the highway.
    Last time I was stopped in a car at a checkpoint it was just outside of a little hillbilly town that didn't even have a bar or party spot. The last time I was stopped I was not in a car, rather I was operating a boat about 60 miles upriver from where fatal boating accident had occurred the prior weekend. There was absolutely no reason for two cops in a Zodiac to stop me and board my boat although they had some bogus reason about my registration sticker not being aligned properly. Of course coming back downriver I noticed that the cops were boarding every boat they came across.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast