Thread: New Member

Howdy Folks,

I've been messing with AKs since the 80s when you could go to a local gun show and get a lot of 5 for $250 a unit sometimes even less. During all this time I have never once used the supplied/attached cleaning rod on any of my AKs. I realize in a combat situation it's a must have but I find them ugly (Flame On) and unnecessary especially with some of the new stock kits. How many people actually clean their AKs with said rod as opposed to using a nice cleaning kit with a 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I am more of an AR guy myself. Welcome to the board. You came to the right place to get information though, on ARs and AKs.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

welcome to the board. that said, a couple of times for info., to see what it feels like.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board!!!
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

You're supposed to clean them?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Commie rifles are made for corrosive ammo and therefore need a cleaning rod attached or issued with the weapon.

One time I snapped and aluminum rod at the range while doing a quick field cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo out of a PSL. No problem, I just pulled the three-piece steel cleaning rod that is kept in the military issue mag carrier. There is no snapping that thick steal fucker.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Re: New Member

I had a squib a few months back. I used the cleaning rod to ram the stuck bullet out. Other than that, I dont use it. Can be handy when you need it though.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

That's exactly what I thought, I'm not alone. The reason I brought it up is I put a polymer stock kit on a SAR-1 I've had in the safe since I bought it new in 2001 and it looks much better without the rod. When I go to the range I have always carried a cleaning kit in my shooting bag so this one is going in the parts pile. Thanks for the welcome, this looks like a great place for information and to shoot the breeze, since it's about all you can afford to shoot these days...