Thread: I'm wanting to load up a quantity of .223 and so needed a good load with Fed 55 gr.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'm wanting to load up a quantity of .223 and so needed a good load with Fed 55 gr.

I'm using once-fired PMP brass (which is rather soft). Decided on W748 and Federal 55 grain fmj bt's - because that's what I've got a shit load of. Using CCI milspec primers.

Tried just two loads yesterday at the range. The one that won is 26.5 grains - gave a two nice 5 shot 1" groups. This, from my newest AR - a middy 16" with 1x4x Weaver installed. This load should be pushing the bullet around 3000 fps out of the 16" carbine.

I'm very happy with this load given that I forgot my danged caldwell bench rest and was just resting the rifle on a big wood block with some carpet draped over it...

So, now to get on with the work... but at least I know the load now.

I did purchase an RCBS trim pro gizzmo to speed up the process - trims and chamfers the case mouth inside and out all at the same time.

Going to load up 1000 of these and then probably switch over to the Hot Shot brass that I have. This will need the primer pockets swagged though - as they're crimped...

Anybody know of a good source of once-fired brass? Preferable all the same headstamp - like Lake City for example - but any decent brass will do.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 07-26-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Natchez sent me an email last week with sale on LC brass, think it's still going on. Others I check are widener's or gunbroker.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Never used the Fed 55 gr. I shoot Hornady 55 gr. V-Max with 24.3 grs. of X-Terminator. 3000 fps.
    Gives sub MOA in AR 16" and my Savage 223.
    The X-Terminator powder meters like water. I got tired of the cylindrical IMR 3031 powder bridging in the powder measure.

If you get a chance, try some.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Thanks for ups on Natchez - and I like W748 for its metering too. X-Terminator must also be a ball powder...

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Anybody know of a good source of once-fired brass? Preferable all the same headstamp - like Lake City for example - but any decent brass will do.
    Linky

Thanks - I'm a member there but I don't hang there...

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Thanks - I'm a member there but I don't hang there...
    thats the only place i can find 1x fired LC for $65 shipped ...