Thread: What a Dog!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

What a Dog!

Hell, i'm thrilled if my dog comes when i call her. This one is smarter than some of the roofers that work for me.

http://www.flixxy.com/jumpy-the-dog....yyGiGD_w.gmail
    Last edited by davepool; 07-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.

In his bestselling book, The Intelligence of Dogs, neuropsychologist Stanley Coren, PhD, focuses on trainability as a marker of intelligence.

The University of British Columbia psychology professor relied on the assessments of 110 breeds by more than 200 professional dog obedience judges who scored breeds based on working/obedience tests.

The top dogs absorbed commands in less than five repetitions and obeyed them 95% of the time or better. Here's the list along with a breed description by the American Kennel Club:

1. Border Collie: A workaholic, this breed is the world's premier sheep herder, prized for its intelligence, extraordinary instinct, and working ability.

2. Poodle: Exceptionally smart and active. Bred to retrieve things from the water. The miniature variety may have been used for truffle hunting.

3. German Shepherd: The world's leading police, guard, and military dog -- and a loving family companion and herder.

4. Golden Retriever: Intelligent and eager to please. Bred as a hunting companion; ideal as a guide and as assistance with search-and-rescue operations.

5. Doberman Pinscher: Known for its stamina and speed. Bred to be a guardian and in demand as a police and war dog.

6. Shetland Sheepdog: The "Sheltie" is essentially a miniature working Collie. A rough-coated, longhaired working breed that is keenly intelligent. Excels in herding.

7. Labrador Retriever: An ideal sporting and family dog. Gentle and intelligent.

8. Papillon: A happy, alert breed that isn't shy or aggressive. Known as Dwarf Spaniels in the 16th and 17th centuries, they reach 8-11 inches high.

9. Rottweiler: Robust and powerful, the breed is happiest with a job. Suitable as a police dog, herder, service dog, therapy dog, obedience competitor, and devoted companion.

10. Australian Cattle Dog: Happiest doing a job like herding, obedience, or agility. Energetic and intelligent.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Hmm, I don't see Chihuahua on that list. But seriously, we have two of them. One is actually very smart, the other one just sweet. We also have two big muts. They are reasonably smart. I had a dog Shelly who was half beagle and half lab and she was brilliant. I'd never seen a dog who knew so many words and was so intuitive.

I have a 6 month old chocolate lab and he is very smart.
    * He (of course) has learned his name.
    * In one day my wife had taught him to sit speak, growl and high five.
    * In about 2 hours I taught him to sit and lay down using just hand gestures.
    * He has learned outside, inside, up stairs and down stairs. I have told him a few times that "that is an outside toy and needs to stay outside" and he will drop the toy before comming in.
    * He knows go lay down in respect to go lay down on your bed.
    * Drink water
    * I can tell him to sit and he will stay as I throw an item. He will stay right there until I tell him to go "get it".
    * One day for 4 times I gave him an item and told him to give it to momma and he did. She then took another item and told him to give it to daddy, and he did.
    Most of what he knows is self taught.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 07-27-2013 at 08:15 PM.

My dog understood english well enough that I had to spell certain things so as to not provoke an outburst when he was not included. Also, just holding the leash up where he could see it he would go crazy (as they do) and run and put his head right into the collar so we could go out.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I liked the part where he tells him to pee on mama