Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gp WASR-10 questions/ New to Forum!

Gp WASR-10 questions/ New to Forum!

How's it going guys! New to the forum and had some help with some question on my newly purchased ak.
    So this last week I bought a sks $300 and sold it for $550 and upgraded to a ak 47 wasr-10. Talk the guy down from $700 to $550. Fun rifle and shoots well. Like it a lot better than the sks.

So my question is, what stock sets will fit this rifle.
    What's stamped/milled mean?

This is the stock set I'm interested in
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-AISAKBSW

I'd like to get that one or something similar.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imanaknut; 08-07-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: installed photos in post.

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new AK and I am glad to hear that you didn't pay the $800-$1200 I have seen WASR-10s going for. Its crazy what some people expect for a used rifle, just because they put a new pistol grip on it or something trivial. I hope you enjoy your AK for years to come.
    As far as upgrading the furniture, I am sure some one much more knowledgable then me will be responding shortly with good advice. All I can tell you is that while there are a lot of add ons you can get, some may require a little tweeking to get to fit right. That's ok because in my opinion, that is what makes an AK great. Most stock sets should fit no problem.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board!

Decent buy on the WASR; you could have done far worse these days.

Milled is just that; the receiver is milled from a solid piece of steel. Stamped is plate, cut out then folded, with welded in rails and riveted in front and rear trunions to make the receiver. Stamped are easier, cheaper and lighter than milled. Milled are maybe a little more durable and most will argue slightly more accurate. BUT, we are talking AKs here and all are durable and none are tack drivers...

Your WASR is stamped.

Yes, that stock set will fit. Any stamped receiver stock set should fit. Some sets may require filing/sanding or shimming to get a snug fit.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Just to add to the already good info you have been given, stay away from stock sets for Chinese AKs as they used thicker metal in their receives and therefore the wood will not fit the European receiver correctly without a lot of work.

Congrats on the WASR, a nice version of the AKM assembled in Romania for the US market.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet. Looks like your questions have been answered.

Thanks guys! I think that as much as im going to do with it, maybe add a foregrip.
    Ill post pictures when i get it and put it on.

Looks kind of nice the way it is!

Maybe some lemon oil on the stock to bring out the color.

Nice shooter!

welcome to the board, enjoy!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Nice AK!!
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Reason I want a new stock set, is if you look at the top wood cover on the gas tube it doesn't sit tightly. I think it from heat warping it.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Welcome and nice AK! Your top wood cover looks like it's not set correctly. Take it off and play with it some and hopefully it will set back in like it's suppose to. Also I think your wood looks just fine. I wouldn't touch it. But if you want then go ahead and change it.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Funny I didn't notice it, but the wood in the gas tube is definitely not installed correctly.

There are Romanian wood lower handguards that have grips as part of the wood.

The thing I have always liked about the Romanian AKMs is that they make for a nice start for someone to customize it to their heart's content.

I've taken it off and played with it a ton. Its warped or not the right peice. I Like that stock set and it will fix that problem.

If I get a new pistol grip do I also need a new bolt? I think I've heard that the orginal bolt doesn't fit?

Hoping you are talking about the bolt that holds the pistol grip in place and not the bolt that makes the rifle go bang (funny how the mind works ) you are correct that some grips are longer than others and require a longer bolt to make up for the added grip length.

Unfortunately until you get the new grip you had in mind, there is no way to know. Usually you won't have a problem with the bolt for the grip, but I have come across a couple of grips that caused me to make a longer bolt for them.

yes the bolt for the grip, not the bang bolt lol.

Just ordered a new stock, pistol grip/bolt, and upper and lower hand guard with 4 rails mounts. oh and also 3x 30 round clips. stay tuned for new pics once i receive and put it on.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-GMG-AKQRS
    bought this hand guard, I cant seem to find a forend pistol grip for ak's. are they universal? will a ar-15 foreend pistol grip fit on this?

I figured it out. Any picanninny forend grip will fit it.

Yep, the Romanian handguard set is standard European AKM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast