Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Year on Mars

One Year on Mars

Thought you guys might like this site.
    http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/

Got it in an email a little while ago and I'm still going through it finding things
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Been checking in on that at least once a week. They don't update as often as they used to.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

When i see that thing I always think "no disassemble!"!!!

I didn't know about how it landed. I thought it was one of those big bubble wrap thing
    Pretty impressive wish I'd known about it earlier figures I'm usually late to the table on stuff like this
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Every time i see it i think how amazing our world has become, and that the guys operating the rover may have been like the kid in larsons cartoon

http://mikelynchcartoons.blogspot.co...-far-side.html

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes I saw this the other day on Fox News On line. A great achievement, now if we could only get people there.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yes I saw this the other day on Fox News On line. A great achievement, now if we could only get people there.
    http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/vid_troy.html
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Hey, there's a chance i could live to see that happen, i'll only be 78. I changed my eating habits last november and lost 60lbs, i'm back to what i weighed when i finished boot camp, maybe i'll actually live another 18 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Thought you guys might like this site.
    http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/

Got it in an email a little while ago and I'm still going through it finding things
    I watched the landing live on NASA TV. It was really exciting and strange at the same time. At the moment we were all cheering, the lander had already been on the ground for 23 minutes........

It was funny how they all acted "surprised" when the little black and white haz-cam images came in... yeah like they DIDN'T KNOW it was going to send them.

I can't see engines, propellant tanks and guidance electronics staying man-rated for years in space.

I also can't see spending probably 9 months looping from Earth to Mars, then staying on Mars for over a year, then spending 9 more months coming home.

Even astronauts with the "best of the right stuff" would go bat-shit crazy cooped up for so long, not to mention the physical degradation caused by microgravity in space and 1/3 gravity on Mars.

With our current (chemical) propulsion, a manned trip to Mars and back is not possible.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I checked out the preview. Looks very interesting. And technically accurate too.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I checked out the preview. Looks very interesting. And technically accurate too.
    Its a hoot, Roger! My wife even liked it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I would love to see America revive the NASA program to it's glory days of the 60's, 70's, & 80's.

Maybe if we stopped squandering trillions of $$$$ on entitlement programs & wars in the ME we could afford to do so again.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 08-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

That's pretty damn ambitious! So what are we going to use to put all the parts into earth orbit to build everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Figures sold to a book publisher and maybe we'll see a copy in 2014. Think a movie is coming?

I can't see engines, propellant tanks and guidance electronics staying man-rated for years in space.

I also can't see spending probably 9 months looping from Earth to Mars, then staying on Mars for over a year, then spending 9 more months coming home.

Even astronauts with the "best of the right stuff" would go bat-shit crazy cooped up for so long, not to mention the physical degradation caused by microgravity in space and 1/3 gravity on Mars.

With our current (chemical) propulsion, a manned trip to Mars and back is not possible.
    Depends if you're cooped up with a supermodel astronaut slut.(with a good supply of lingerie) I for one would cause the use of extra propellant to keep the spacecraft in the proper "trim".
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 08-14-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Figures sold to a book publisher and maybe we'll see a copy in 2014. Think a movie is coming?
    It would be a good one I think. I read it on a whim and because it was an inexpensive download on my kindle, but it turned out to be very entertaining. The science made sense and the guy is funny as hell, especially when he realizes he has gotten himself in yet another jamb.

I would think it'll be back out in kindle & or paperback before long, I'd read it again.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Depends if you're cooped up with a supermodel astronaut slut.(with a good supply of lingerie) I for one would cause the use of extra propellant to keep the spacecraft in the proper "trim".
    Nah. Just bang her on the port side one day, then the starboard side another day. Balance out the accelerations....

Nah. Just bang her on the port side one day, then the starboard side another day. Balance out the accelerations....
    I wish there was a like button on this site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast