Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody recommend a good zero turn mower for around 4k?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Anybody recommend a good zero turn mower for around 4k?

I mow about 2 acres and we've been using an old Craftsman GT6000. It's a great old mower with a Kohler twin. But it only has a 44 inch cut and it's getting old. BTW, we had a Cub Cadet 1042 which was a sweet mower to drive, but it started falling apart as soon as we got it home. It was junk.
    Anyway, I have about 4k to spend, and I was looking at the Bad Boys. I noticed some have the Kohler Courage engine which is what the CC had. It was junk. Some have the Kawasaki which I assume is a better engine. I also found Toros which have Kawasakis.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    you can always buy a couple semi auto's with the 4k and plink it down. plus you will be a very happy man!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Killa are you drinking and posting?

It's hard to find prices on mowers.

China should make one that's as inexpensive as a regular rider.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Killa are you drinking and posting?

It's hard to find prices on mowers.
    no still at work unfortunatly.... just messing with ya bro. i've got a husquavarna that does 6 acres everytime i mow. its been a good one look into that line maybe you will find something you will like from them.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I dunno, I've not had cause to look at prices in a good while, but if it were me, I'd start with Skag, Newmark, Grasshopper and a few others.
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I like the Dixie Choppers and Skags. My buddy has a 72" cut Skag and he cut a 12 to 18 hour mowing time down to two hours. He was mowing six acres with a 40 some-odd inch lawn tractor. The trouble is you are about half the price of that mower. Snapper has some zero turns not far from your price range.

The JDs, Troy Built and Cub Cadets you see at the box stores, Lowes and Home Depot are not commercial units and will not hold up as well.

I'd look at a mid-size Snapper for two acres...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Oh, while we're talking about real mowers, Gravely, Ferris, Hustler and others make units that will last a while.

As Laton said, don't buy one at a box store, those are junk. Some of the commercial dealers will get trade ins from guys needing bigger units, assuming it hasn't been run into the ground already, you could save some cash over a new unit.
    Returns June 3rd.

Gravely, Ferris and Grasshopper are all in service here in Florida, but most commercial guys down here use ExMark 60's with a Kohler 25HP twin. I ran one of those myself for 12 years. Florida grass is brutal on these mowers. Based on MY hands-on experience, I would buy one again hands down. Some guys use Dixie Choppers, but they go so fast that they tear the grass and the odd belt angles chew up belts quickly.

The seemingly very high cost of a true commercial mower will prove itself worth it when you've used it for a year. If you go cheap and buy something shiny at Lowe's or HD, you'll kick yourself a year from now.

Roadhouse Groupee

since you're looking a zero turns guessing there's a lot of things to mow around if it's open field mowing you could get a pull behind for around $1k would double your mowing swath and can be offset to either side

I feel you pain, alterboy. My yard is 1.25 acres and it takes 2.5 hrs. to cut w. a 42" Snapper.

My buddy bought a used Kabota diesel zero turn. Don't know the cut width, but he says he loves it. I think he paid in the upper $3000 range.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

yea... buy NOTHING at lowes/homo depot/mao-mart

Buy nothing with Poulan on it.

When it comes to this shit anymore you get what you pay for, saving a few $$$ usually results in swearing and wasting time/gas to fix shit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Yeah I figured the stuff you buy from an equipment dealer is better than TSC and Lowes. Figured a Bad Boy w kawazaki would be good but looks like I'll be going to a dealer. Thanks guys.

and make sure it has a REAL warranty.

not this " oh the transmission exploded , just bring it back for a refund" type of shit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Just for what it's worth... My 60" 25HP ExMark Laser Z cuts 3.5 acres in 1.3 hours, including going around all the trees, house, barn, garage, fencing, etc.

When you talk to commercial mowing guys, it all comes down to: 1) It's gotta start. 2) Sealed bearing spindles. 3) Easy access to sharpen blades. 4) Easy to change oil. 5) Hydraulics that last. Most commercial mowers meet these requirements. Then it comes down to eating belts and bending decks. Ride comfort, angle of discharge and blade speed are factors, too. There is a reason the commercial mowers are expensive.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Buy nothing with Poulan on it.
    Anything with the name Poulan on it is to be considered a one use and throw away item...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Anything with the name Poulan on it is to be considered a one use and throw away item...

guy I work with went through 2 of their zero-turn 16hp mowers in one month... once he put each in reverse the transmission destroyed themselves.

I just laughed at him when he said "I thought poulan was good"
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I have a toro 51" with a 19 HP kawasaki on it. I bought it used 3 years ago for $3k with 130 hours on it. It is basically an Exmark with a toro name. I have 3 buddy's who cut grass for a living. They use Scag, Exmark, and Gravely. 3 Years ago I could find nothing new equivalent for under $7k. Alot of used ones were from lawn company's with 4k hours and beat to shit, and they still wanted over $2k

I would say make sure to get a commercial model with a good deck. My deck is 7 GAUGE with a bunch of bumpers on it. I have seen some that have a deck like a normal garden tracket. Only thing I don't like about my mover is the tires are kinda small. Not real goodin the ditch as it slips downthe hill if it is too steep. Also likes to get stuck in mud, if you are not careful. I can take it in way more places thn the rider though.

IT took my 3.5 acres done from 4 hours with the rider to about 1.5 hours. Best investments ever.
    Last edited by 00RedZX-6R; 08-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Kubota ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomac yokctep View Post
    Kubota ?
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...71.OQwyvE91HoU
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast