Thread: I am getting my tail kicked in college this semester.

was_peacemaker

I am getting my tail kicked in college this semester.

About done with my college transfer...just got to knock out a few more courses. But this semester I bit off more than I can chew.

I have

World Literature
    Intro to the Old Testament (professor is an Ivy League man from Princeton and many of the study links go back to Ivy League schools)
    World Civilization I ( I aced part II already I am not to worried about this.)
    World Geography (I swear I have just got done reading, comparing an contrasting more demographic maps, human development index rates, birth rates, job rates, than I can shake a stick at!)

Anyway its like an infinite amount of reading this semester. Plus I am working at a shipping dock, unloading trucks. But it will all be worth it because at the end of the year I am going to put my order in for this bad boy. Kind of my late Christmas to me present.

http://armor.com/sword188.html

Man, that's gotta be tough taking that heavy of a course-load with a job where you can't study. That sounds like a lot of reading, which I suck at because I have to read slow to really absorb the subject matter.

Fall Semester starts for me today (well, tomorrow), but I decided to drop it down from 15 credits down to just 12 -- I dropped General Psychology because I'm already taking two heavy science/lab classes (sophomore-level biology and organic/biochemistry) worth 9 credits, and this Intro Statistics class is looking to be more time consuming than I had anticipated, but I should still be able to get most of the homework done for that class during down-time at work. I'd rather take fewer credits and do well in all classes than overload myself and regret it later. (Besides, it would have cost me $500 out of pocket to take those extra 3 credits, money that I need to save up to afford a lawyer to petition to get my gun rights back in just over 7 months from now. Plus I need some money saved up for toys if I'm successful! )
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Try thermodynamics, caculus III, physics III and a core elective in the same semester and feel sorry for yourself studying on friday nights while everyone else can be heard laughing and partying!

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    Try thermodynamics, caculus III, physics III and a core elective in the same semester and feel sorry for yourself studying on friday nights while everyone else can be heard laughing and partying!
    Shit I took 27 Credit hours in Engineering classes one semester. IT was tuition based, so the more you took the cheaper it was. Finished 5 years in 4, never doing any class work from 5:00 on Firdays until 4:00 on Sunday. I worked my ass off during the week though.

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    Shit I took 27 Credit hours in Engineering classes one semester. IT was tuition based, so the more you took the cheaper it was. Finished 5 years in 4, never doing any class work from 5:00 on Firdays until 4:00 on Sunday. I worked my ass off during the week though.
    That would be nice if there were an incentive like that. I'd just quit work and live, breathe, and eat school 24/7 and graduate within 2 years with minimal student loan debt. My dumb community college though, instead of raising tuition for everyone, they just made it so that every credit you take over 12 (which is the base-line for full-time financial aid) you have to pay extra for out of your own pocket!

I think most universities these days charge "overload" fees if you take more than 18 or 19 credits per semester as well.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Good Lord, you actually made me shudder. How the hell did you manage that? I dunno what degree you where working towards but hats off to you.
    That aside at least these things aren't( from what I gathered from the OP) too distant from what you know. Take heart and Keep going. I'm taking courses right as well( 13 hours currently) and the coursework isn't terrible by itself. Add in family passings & mayhem, legal matters and too much else and the prospect gets a bit dicey but in the end if you finish, you finish. That sheepskin will be worth it on graduation day.
    Last edited by Sergi762; 08-28-2013 at 12:20 AM.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    Good Lord, you actually made me shudder. How the hell did you manage that? I dunno what degree you where working towards but hats off to you.
    That aside at least these things aren't( from what I gathered from the OP) too distant from what you know. Take heart and Keep going. I'm taking courses right as well( 13 hours currently) and the coursework isn't terrible by itself. Add in family passings & mayhem, legal matters and too much else and the prospect gets a bit dicey but in the end if you finish, you finish. That sheepskin will be worth it on graduation day.
    Yeah...and some of what you mentioned is the deal here to. I have go sign papers for a family estate at the Lawyers office this AM, and I just got off a pretty busy shift. Then got to mow and its reading until I fall asleep. LOL

was_peacemaker
    27 credit hours in one semester?!? You are a better man than me.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    I couldn't imagine physics III!! Oh my that hurts my head thinking about it.