Thread: What do you do when your rifle gets too hot to handle?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

What do you do when your rifle gets too hot to handle?

I'm sure some of you guys with plastic stocks, refinished stocks or pretty pre-ban rifles probably put it down for a while in fear of ruining your hand guards... And maybe because you don't want to burn yourself.

But me and my WASR and the shit stock it has on it now? We keep chuggin' along. I just wrap the hand guard in an old t-shirt. Haven't caught it on fire yet... but I'm tempted to try while waitin' on my new stock to come. Just to say I done it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Not only are you ruining your stock, you are burning the rifling out of the barrel. Especially so at the throat just in front of the chamber. The hotter the barrel gets the faster the barrel wear. It is very rough on the weapon and accuracy will decline quickly. Yes I've bump fired AK's back in the day when a case of ammo didn't cost me more than $85 / 1000 rounds. They were smoking hot, bubbled the finish on the wood, charred the inside of the lower handguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I'm sure some of you guys with plastic stocks, refinished stocks or pretty pre-ban rifles probably put it down for a while in fear of ruining your hand guards... And maybe because you don't want to burn yourself.

But me and my WASR and the shit stock it has on it now? We keep chuggin' along. I just wrap the hand guard in an old t-shirt. Haven't caught it on fire yet... but I'm tempted to try while waitin' on my new stock to come. Just to say I done it.
    When a rifle gets too hot to hold, I lay it down with the bolt open and let air circulate through it to cool it off. I have no desire to ruin a (more expensive every day) rifle......

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    lmao.... burn that bitch up then bro!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Haven't ruined the barrel yet... But then again I never even thought of how it would affect the barrel... Might just wanna hold off on that for the moment... x_x
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Makes one wonder how the commies and terrorists around the world can fire theirs full auto mag after mag and still keep working.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfox View Post
    Makes one wonder how the commies and terrorists around the world can fire theirs full auto mag after mag and still keep working.
    Since the terrorists don't actually aim, they never notice the degradation of accuracy.

They usually cut the butt stock off with a hacksaw too, so I wouldn't put to much stock into how they treat their weapons.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Pee on it.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Pee on it.
    Thats also good for cleaning up after firing corrosive ammo.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfox View Post
    Just because it works doesn't mean it can hit the broad side of a barn. On that note, I did notice quite a bit of burnt wood on my upper hand guard when I swapped furniture. lol

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Just because it works doesn't mean it can hit the broad side of a barn. On that note, I did notice quite a bit of burnt wood on my upper hand guard when I swapped furniture. lol
    Yep this. Function doesn't have dick to do with accuracy.

Gloves are your friend. Also gripping near the magazine is helpfull. I like foregrips. Not to actually grope the foregrip, but for support hand placement behind the foregrip, that forms a neat little notch. Whatever you do, do not venture an ungloved hand hear the gas tube or barrell after three mags in quick succession.

^Yeah, that's a no brainer! Hell I remember not long after I bought my WASR I bumped two mags straight and jammed the last round pretty bad. Had to stand the gun semi vertically with the barrel over my shoulder and kick the bolt to unjam it. Barrel touched my neck and shit was it hot!