Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new air compressor.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I need a new air compressor.

I see Lowes has a Bostitch for around $229.00 It looks good but small. I will mostly air up tires and occasionally use an air wrench. Do I need a bigger one than 6 gallons?
    Last edited by Altarboy; 09-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I see Lowes has a Bostitch for around $229.00 It looks good but small. I will mostly air up tires and occasionally use an air wrench. Do I need a bigger one than 6 gallons?
    I use my pancake to air up tires occasionally. If the tires are low I have to wait for the compressor to catch up. Dont expect to use air tools for long with that- short bursts at best I'd guess. IMHO that compressor is best suited to light use pneumatic tools- finish carpentry especially. If noise is an issue to you avoid oilless compressors. DAMN they are loud!
    CHOOT UM!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Always buy more compressor than you will ever need. One day you might need the extra capacity.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Always buy more compressor than you will ever need. One day you might need the extra capacity.
    yep...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

If you're looking for value and light duty check Harbor Freight. Sounds like you'd be happy with around a 20 gallon tank, but you're still going to have slow recovery time with the small tank/"value" line tool.
    CHOOT UM!

Hmm so I need to spend around 400 for a decent one? I will if I have to.

When you say air wrench do you mean this

or this

If you are using the top one, an air ratchet, then you want more capacity, because you are using it for multiple bolts, like removing heads.

For the bottom one, an airr impact driver,, you are likely using it to remove lug nuts, or as more of a "rescue device" to remove a stubborn nut, like a single axle nut.

For the occasional tough nut all that really matters is that you can get decent pressure for the 10-20 seconds it takes to do the job. I've seen guys remove a Jeep's axle nut with on board air, from a one gallon tank.. A job that may require a 4-6 foot breaker bar.

It's nice to have more than you need, but if it's really just occasional use then spending that much is probably overkill, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

My brother uses a little pancake type for airing up motorcycle tires, and occasional air impact driver. It's plenty. Yes it's oilless, yes it's loud, but it rarely gets used more than twice a month.

Also, check craigslist, I tend to see lots of them there, good one's, for usually under $100

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Nobody should need more than a 1 gallon tank on their compressor. Those are only for police and military.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

If you lived closer to me, I would sell you mine. It is a fairly large Craftsman. I no longer use it. It is in like new condition......chris3

I gotta learn more about craigs list. I have some things in the way to sell.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I gotta learn more about craigs list. I have some things in the way to sell.
    I prefer the buy sell paper here called "Bargain Hunter"

Free to post an ad.

Check if there is something similar in your area. The way it works here is you just call up and tell them what your selling and it appears in a classified ad.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've got to say for tires about anything can do it. Air wrenches are a whole other realm of supply needs. I have an 80 gal. 2 stage 8 or so HP vertical compressor, it will run an air wrench. I had a portable compressor, oilless type with a 25 gal. tank. It could not cut it for a wrench more than about a few seconds, then it was running to make air. For my blast cabinet it ran 99% of the time. With the big one it runs for 30 seconds and cuts off for 3 minutes. I got mine at Harbor Freight.

Just checked their web site. This is the biggest vertical they have which is like mine. It seems they don't carry the 80 gallon model anymore. this one is on sale for about 800. I paid 1100 for mine about 9 years ago.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-18-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Tractor Supply carries the 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand Compressors, I have one. The model to have is the two stage 175#... It will drive about anything including a smallish blast pot.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Wow, I don't really need an 80 gallon-probably a 12-20 gallon or so. So, you guys recommend the ones with oil? Walmart has a nice looking Campbell hausfield for 199.00 and Sears has a nicer looking Craftsman for around 225.00.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The oiless portable I had was so noisy I had to put in earplugs or wear shooting muffs. The one like I pictured here is quiet enough that when I'm using the blast cabinet I hardly notice it coming on 15 feet behind me. Personally I think anything less than 60 gal. tank is really only about suitable for filling up car tires and maybe running an airbrush. Air wrenches, grinders, a blast cabinet takes some volume or they will run constantly and never shut off while you use the tools.

The truth is, if you are really using them, you need three...

1. That little Porter-Cable or equal to run a nail / brad / staple gun and fill car tire at remote locations.

2. A larger 20 gallon at 125# to run things not in the shop that the little compressor will not.

3. The 80+ gallon 175# to run blast pot or blast cabinet, 3/4" impact and fill truck and tractor tires, run die grinders and all the things the two small compressors together cannot.

To add to the confusion- if you are concerned with running an air tool effectively check the tool's air usage in CFM and find a compressor that will deliver 1.5x that volume of air
    CHOOT UM!

Thanks for the help guys. I got a Craftsman 20 gallon 150 psi 1.5 HP. It's a pretty red.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Missed the post before you bought YES just buy a craftsman 6 gallon is way to small.

Thanks for the help guys. I got a Craftsman 20 gallon 150 psi 1.5 HP. It's a pretty red.
    That should be a good all around machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast