Thread: Mr. Smith goes to Washington

Mr. Smith goes to Washington

or shall i say new Congressman Jason Smith (R) Missouri's 8th District.

this past June my district had a special election to fill the seat vacated by JoAnn Emerson when she quit right after being elected last year. we elected this Mr. Smith in hopes of having good representation in Congress.

recently i wrote him a letter (along with my 2 Senators) expressing my stance against the US taking any military action in Syria and to ask for his vote against such actions. here is the letter i received back from him today.....

Dear Mr. Broondog:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the use of military force in Syria. After participating in a classified briefing, raising questions to the Obama Administration and listening to families in our congressional district, I decided to vote against any resolution authorizing the use of military force in Syria.

President Obama has not been able to answer questions raised by myself and others about military involvement in Syria. Bashar al-Assad is obviously no friend to the United States, but would toppling his government make the Middle East even more unstable? We do not know if the rebels fighting Assad would be our allies, we do not know if they will respect Israel’s right to exist, if they will tolerate Christians and we do not know if the rebels will defend American interests. If military force is so urgent, where are our allies and why have they not committed to use military force? These questions deserve to be fully answered before American troops are dragged into another conflict in the Middle East.

The first article of the Constitution gives Congress, and Congress alone, the authority to declare war. The wisdom of our Founding Fathers is clear. Congress is the ‘check and balance’ on the Executive branch before war can be declared. Over the past few weeks my office has received hundreds of calls, letters and emails urging me to vote against the resolution. Additionally, I have personally heard from countless families in Southern Missouri who oppose military involvement in Syria. You have spoken, and I have listened.

Because victory cannot be defined, because Syria poses no direct threat to the United States, because our allies are not using force, because the American people do not have answers as to what would happen in the Middle East after a use of American force, and because my constituents do not want to get involved in a prolonged military conflict, I will vote against authorizing military force in Syria.

Again, I appreciate the time you have taken to reach out to me. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any additional questions or concerns. I am honored to have the opportunity to represent the Eighth Congressional District of Missouri and encourage you to visit my website at www.jasonsmith.house.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter and receive regular updates from Washington, D.C.

Sincerely,

Jason Smith
    Member of Congress

i am actually quite impressed with this response and hope that i made a good decision in casting my vote for him. it would seem that, at least for now, he stands for the Constitution and all that it stands for. let's hope that he doesn't become tainted by the scum and villainy of Washington and continues on the path he has set out on.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Roadhouse Groupee

I'm also in Missouri's 8th district and agree with Smith's position on a Syrian strike. After all these years of JoAnn Emerson anyone would be an improvement . . even LAGC has more integrity than that K Street ho'

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Not much time for DC crud to rub off on him.

That said, he sounds like the sort of person I wish all of the pols represented.

Trouble is, if they're not corrupted, they get trivialized to the point where they can't do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    I'm also in Missouri's 8th district and agree with Smith's position on a Syrian strike. After all these years of JoAnn Emerson anyone would be an improvement . . even LAGC has more integrity than that K Street ho'
    yeah she was a worthless bag of mostly water. good riddance to her! if Smith stays the course i will be happy.

where are you at in the 8th? Ste Gen county here.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Roadhouse Groupee

northern Texas