Thread: Maybe We NEED to Start Coddling Our Prisoners...

Lightbulb Maybe We NEED to Start Coddling Our Prisoners...

The first clue that things are done very differently on Bastoy prison island, which lies a couple of miles off the coast in the Oslo fjord, 46 miles south-east of Norway's capital, comes shortly after I board the prison ferry. I'm taken aback slightly when the ferry operative who welcomed me aboard just minutes earlier, and with whom I'm exchanging small talk about the weather, suddenly reveals he is a serving prisoner – doing 14 years for drug smuggling. He notes my surprise, smiles, and takes off a thick glove before offering me his hand. "I'm Petter," he says.

Before he transferred to Bastoy, Petter was in a high-security prison for nearly eight years. "Here, they give us trust and responsibility," he says. "They treat us like grownups." I haven't come here particularly to draw comparisons, but it's impossible not to consider how politicians and the popular media would react to a similar scenario in Britain.

There are big differences between the two countries, of course. Norway has a population of slightly less than five million, a 12th of the UK's. It has fewer than 4,000 prisoners; there are around 84,000 in the UK. But what really sets us apart is the Norwegian attitude towards prisoners. Four years ago I was invited into Skien maximum security prison, 20 miles north of Oslo. I had heard stories about Norway's liberal attitude. In fact, Skien is a concrete fortress as daunting as any prison I have ever experienced and houses some of the most serious law-breakers in the country. Recently it was the temporary residence of Anders Breivik, the man who massacred 77 people in July 2011.

Despite the seriousness of their crimes, however, I found that the loss of liberty was all the punishment they suffered. Cells had televisions, computers, integral showers and sanitation. Some prisoners were segregated for various reasons, but as the majority served their time – anything up to the 21-year maximum sentence (Norway has no death penalty or life sentence) – they were offered education, training and skill-building programmes. Instead of wings and landings they lived in small "pod" communities within the prison, limiting the spread of the corrosive criminal prison subculture that dominates traditionally designed prisons. The teacher explained that all prisons in Norway worked on the same principle, which he believed was the reason the country had, at less than 30%, the lowest reoffending figures in Europe and less than half the rate in the UK.
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ed-like-people

You know, I don't give a fuck if how cushy they have it. With a 16% criminal recidivism rate? Are you fucking kidding me? Do you know how much money we'd save if we got our recidivism rates down anywhere close to that? At $20K/year per prisoner, those savings add up QUICK.

Let all the non-violent offenders out and let the remaining murderers and sex offenders live like kings. Give them their own island! Fuck it!

Because what we are doing now sure as fuck ain't working... except for the bottom-lines of the for-profit private prison industry.

And that's a fact, Jack.
    Last edited by LAGC; 09-18-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ed-like-people

You know, I don't give a fuck if how cushy they have it. With a 16% criminal recidivism rate? Are you fucking kidding me? Do you know how much money we'd save if we got our recidivism rates down anywhere close to that? At $20K/year per prisoner, those savings add up QUICK.

Let all the non-violent offenders out and let the remaining murderers and sex offenders live like kings. Give them their own island! Fuck it!

Because what we are doing now sure as fuck ain't working... except for the bottom-lines of the for-profit private prison industry.

And that's a fact, Jack.
    A prison sentence is supposed to be punishment not vacation.

But in principal I agree that our system is broken. We let our prisoners for gangs and act like animals behind bars and continue a criminal lifestyle. That shit shouldn't be tolerated.

Unless you are going to give everyone a life sentence the ultimate goal should be punishment and rehabilitation. The way it is now if you werent a hardened criminal when you go in, you will be when you come out.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Shoot every murderer, rapist, child molester and non-paternal kidnapper in the face with a 44mag the day after they've been convicted and the recidivism rate will be 0% for those crimes at absolutely no loss of anything of value to our society whatsoever(not counting the bullet of course).

Problem solved.

As an added extra value supersized double delux (with fries)bonus, it takes care of your periodic pissing and moaning about "the for-profit private prison industry" once and for all too.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Prison in America is like college for criminals.

We'd save a lot of money if we started executing people that have proven their no more than parasites.

most of that cost is health/life insurance.

the states have life insurance on their inmates which is part of the cost..
    Figure between $5-8 a meal X3
    health insurance is like $36 a day.
    other than pedos.. rapists. assholes( thieves)

rest are in jail for dumb shit like possession/manufacturer crap
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    If it would get criminals to be productive members of society here in the US instead of corrections customers, I'd be all for dropping the punishment aspect. American criminal culture and Norwegian criminal culture are apples and oranges.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

LAGC just wants to make sure that the accommodations have improved before he gets locked up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    LAGC just wants to make sure that the accommodations have improved before he gets locked up again.
    Nah, it still sounds like they can't have any alcohol or Internet access, even if they can sun-bathe all day. I don't drink, but missing out on the Interwebz is probably the biggest reason I don't ever want to go back.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    most of that cost is health/life insurance.

the states have life insurance on their inmates which is part of the cost..
    Figure between $5-8 a meal X3
    health insurance is like $36 a day.
    other than pedos.. rapists. assholes( thieves)

rest are in jail for dumb shit like possession/manufacturer crap
    yeah whats wrong with a little blow or smack?
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hhmm - - this may be one time the ChiComs have the right idea. Pistol shot to the back of the head, then bill the perps family for the bullet!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Hhmm - - this may be one time the ChiComs have the right idea. Pistol shot to the back of the head, then bill the perps family for the bullet!
    they do that someones fixing to make a killing off of bullets.... lol
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ