Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Boredom

Gun Boredom

Just like the title says, I have suddenly found myself somewhat bored with guns. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of them and would never be without a substantial arsenal; however, I just don't get the same thrill out of them that I once did. I have scratched and clawed my way into a financial position that allows me to buy pretty much any gun that I want, minus ultra-exotic NFA shit. Still, I went to the Dallas Market Hall show today and left with nothing but an overpriced styrofoam cup of iced tea. Sold a shotgun and left completely empty-handed even though I had enough cash in my pocket to buy pretty much anything I wanted. Nowadays it takes a particularly kinky firearm to even come close to getting my attention. I really want to enjoy guns the way that I once did, but they are increasingly becoming nothing more than tools, much like a hammer to a construction worker. Am I the only one that's experienced this? Does it get better?

Is it just guns or are you lacking enthusiasm in general? There's not a whole lot to be excited about right now. A lot of the same shit but more expensive.

The good news is that a mid-life crisis for a gun guy is usually cheaper than for a car guy or...a married guy. To your question, yes. I've been through times of low interest. I just put them away for a few months and do other stuff. The industry is pretty high speed so if you walk away for a while, when you come back there's usually something new to capture your interest. At least that has been my experience.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Roadhouse Groupee

eventually the ol' lady's "how damn many guns do you need?" gains a certain resonance

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Low T? LOL...

I'm having trouble finding much that isn't very high dollar now that interests me. I'm bottom feeding "sporterized" bolt guns so I have something to hunt with.

Maybe we need to get into bench rest or long range shooting...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

That's what I've been doing. Long range bolt action. Its therapeutic.

Ever tried traditional black powder? The poompf of a lead round ball, the smell of real black power, the thick smoke...

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

yep same thing happened to me about a year ago. Got plenty of guns, got accurate loads figured out for my target rifles.Other going to the range to practice with my carry pistol, wasn't a lot of interest left. THEN, i discovered black powder...what fun.

I used to fret if i couldn't shoot a sub 1'' group at 100 yards, now i'm happy as hell if i hit an 8'' paper plate at 50 yards. I just got a flintlock pistol kit from pedersoli and we'll see how that turns out.

I think that I have been to the range once this year. Still buying guns and ammo when I can though. But, the fun factor has worn off. It has literally been years since I shot one of my subguns.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How about C&R stuff? You into that at all?

I like having sub-collections. Like what would I carry if this were 1975 in the same town I live in? Or what would I carry in 1989 Romania? Or 1945 as a Soviet?

Maybe you should try out some knives. Knife collecting is a lot like the gun hobby but less expensive.

Or maybe do something totally unrelated to firearms for a while.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    That's what I've been doing. Long range bolt action. Its therapeutic.
    I just bought a sporterized M24 Mauser in 8mm Mauser with a 2.5 to 8 Leopold, guess I'll start with that.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Just like the title says, I have suddenly found myself somewhat bored with guns.
    After years of shooting AKs and ARs I got bored and started shooting single action revolvers and lever action rifles, i.e., as something different. Another thing to try is bow shooting. It was a good change of pace for me until I dislocated one shoulder (heavy bench press) and ripped my bicep in half on the other arm lifting a heavy weight.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

get a musket and start casting your own roundball
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

i got bored and started making my own shit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I've sorta fallen into that same "malaise" (thank you Jimmah Cartah ) as of late.

The AK/AR baby-killin' bullet hoses don't seem to hold the same allure they did a number of years ago. I've gotten into collecting nice WWI and WWII rifles the last few years instead. I've always been a history geek, since I was a kid, and just like to collect, handle, & shoot true pieces of military history. Over the last four years or so I've acquired a 1942 Remington '03 Springfield, a 1917 Eddystone Enfield, 1943 Springfield Garand, 1899 Springfield Krag carbine, a 1918 BSA .303 Enfield, a 1939 Moison Nagant, & a 1937 Waffen-marked Mauser.

I've actually been shooting more the last couple of years than probably any other time in my life, just different style milsurp warhorse stuff from 1899 to 1944 or so. I like the "big bang" centerfire iron....22 just doesn't cut it, and though they're my serious go-to guns, the AKs & AR are taking a well-earned breather. So I guess it isn't so much a sense of boredom, as just re-connecting with the path which originally got me into the shooting sports.

You should at least feel lucky Charliebravo.....My NFA plans are now worthless if they amend (the BS laws to begin with) and require a CLEO signature for items on a Trust. I have lived my whole life in a state that until just recently, not only sucked ass when it came to small arm laws, it literally tongue fucked the hell out of an anal cavity...

Now mind you I make shit. I do not have a sugar daddy bank account, but I finally could manage to get my first transferable ($10K-$15K) let alone the suppressors and DD's I want....and now nothing.

My second hobby is electronics...been thinking a lot about diving back in the audiophile stuff
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Count me in the "bored class" as well CB. I think for me having owned (all but sub and machineguns) but shot everything short of a grenade launcher there isn't much of a thrill left in pulling a trigger. I've about come to the conclusion except for raw accuracy a firearm is a firearm. Shoot targets for practices sake isn't interesting anymore.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I can't imagine there ever being an end to my gun lust.

I want every version of every gun ever.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The problem I have is range and ammo availability. If I can go to the range I don't want to use up the ammo. Maybe if ammo becomes available again. I keep watching and hoping because I do enjoy shooting.

In the mean time, like someone else recommended, my wife and I are going to try out archery. If she enjoys it, new bows will be on the way!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    The problem I have is ... ammo availability. If I can go to the range I don't want to use up the ammo. Maybe if ammo becomes available again. I keep watching and hoping because I do enjoy shooting.
    That about describes the boat i'm floating in.

I would love to take up competition trap and long range tack driving but simply can't afford the cost of feeding my toys to keep my skills sharp enough to be effective.

There was a thread floating around in another section about crossbows.
    Try that for a change of pace Charlie. If you have the place/space set up a run and gun course only a few arrows on you so you have to recycle them as you go. Think Daryl Dixon on the bridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast