Thread: my design for QA/QD Muzzle Brake

my design for QA/QD Muzzle Brake

I had originally thought I'd be making a reflex design can for my 300BLK silencer project. But Schuetzenman inspired me to go a different direction. It made a LOT more sense.

I decided to go with a QA/QD design muzzle brake that would allow me to move the silencer amongst my various 30 cal rifles. Please be forgiving on the drawing, I just did it tonight over the course of a few beers and it's very rough with no dimensions on it. I wanted to through the concept out there to see what ya'll think about the direction I'm going. I'd like to get some input from the folks here that are far smarter than I in these matters.

Below I've got two concepts. The main body will be a bit smaller than 1 inch O.D. with a 30* mating shoulder. (the O.D. at the top of the mating shoulder will be greater than one inch) The top design is apx. 3 inches long and will add apx. 2.5 inches to the barrel length. The first chamber is an internal expansion area with a 60* port out the top. This will act as a compensator to counter muzzle rise. Two chambers follow that vent gas out the sides.

The bottom design does away with the compensator chamber and shortens the length by almost an inch.

Oh, the threads. I'm thinking about doing two threads at 8tpi with about 1/3rd of an inch of threads.

[IMG][/IMG]

So please bring on the ideas and critique.

Thanks
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So how did I influence you and what thread was it in? Am I correct in saying you plan to have the suppressor shoulder off, (create a seal and pull tight) against that tapered surface at the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So how did I influence you and what thread was it in? Am I correct in saying you plan to have the suppressor shoulder off, (create a seal and pull tight) against that tapered surface at the rear?
    I don't recall the specific thread, it was a while back. I was asking about the Spikes Compressor attachment system and thinking about doing something similar. You mentioned that a QD/QA muzzle break would be much more useful. Anyhow, after thinking on it I realized you were correct and went that direction.

Regarding the mating surfaces, you are correct. There's a couple of manufactures doing it like that. Thunderbeast comes to mind.

Here's another option;

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

http://www.advanced-armament.com/BRA...tor_p_471.html
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/Cyc...ake_p_495.html
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLA...der_p_446.html
    Take a look at the Advanced Armament brakes and flash hiders. They use a very course thick thread. I don't know what the pitch is or thread type / class but it is very quick to get it on and off. The teeth at the back are for a detent spring that gives you a ratchet effect and helps the suppressor to not back off and come loose from shooting the weapon. I have the older 18 tooth or notched Blackouts to fit my AA Suppressor, which btw they don't make anymore. They seem to have settled on the 51 tooth system and only make suppressors to fit that type now.