Thread: Saw a Shiney Silver/Grey 2 Foot Snake in my Dad's Front Yard.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Exclamation Saw a Shiney Silver/Grey 2 Foot Snake in my Dad's Front Yard.

Here in my Part of Florida, I have seen Rat Snake's, Corn Snake's, Pine Snake's, Blue Racer's and Black Racer's. Yesterday I saw the first Shiney Silver/Grey one. I was going out the Front Door, and saw the Tail only, as it slithered away. Never saw the Head. of it. My Dad said he as seen them before, and it is a Grass Snake? I hope he is right, I told him I saw it, My Mom has some Plant's in that Area. Are there any Poisonious Snake's that Color? Paul

Most of Florida's venomous (there is no such thing as a poisonous snake, you can eat any of them....sorry, pet peeve) are heavily banded like the coral snake, or have definitive patterns on them, like the diamondback or rattler. The only one that doesn't is the cottonmouth, but those tend to be a pretty dull color.

Likely it was a racer, which can come in a broader range than most people think, or perhaps even an Indigo, which looks like a racer but will eventually get much bigger.

The Indigo is a protected species by the way, so, ya know, don't skin it and make a belt or anything like that

It's unlikely that you will get bit so long as you don't accidentally step on it's tail or something, but if you do get bit, bite it back and take it's corpse with you to the hospital if you can't identify it quickly.

In Florida, our native venomous snakes are the Cottonmouth Moccasin, the Eastern Diamondback Rattler, the Coral Snake and I guess the Copperhead in N. Florida. I would never make the mistake of assuming that just because it ain't one of those four that it ain't venomous. Back in the old days, you could more than likely be sure if it ain't one of those four, you don't have anything to worry about but nowadays, with all of the imports,legal and illegal, you need to make damn sure of what you are messing with. IMHO!
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop on my back!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    In Florida, our native venomous snakes are the Cottonmouth Moccasin, the Eastern Diamondback Rattler, the Coral Snake and I guess the Copperhead in N. Florida. I would never make the mistake of assuming that just because it ain't one of those four that it ain't venomous. Back in the old days, you could more than likely be sure if it ain't one of those four, you don't have anything to worry about but nowadays, with all of the imports,legal and illegal, you need to make damn sure of what you are messing with. IMHO!
    There are also Pygmy Rattlesnakes in FL. Saw one when I lived there in the 80's.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Is this it? The wife had a couple of these in the yard this year.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

The juvenile Black Racer has a light grey/red pattern easily confused with a Pygmy Rattle Snake. As the snake reaches maturity it turns solid grey/silver and then turns black on the back, white on the bottom. That is most likely what you saw, but as AKM mentioned, it may be an escaped or released import snake, in which case it could be anything from anywhere. All snakes are best left unmolested and then are almost always going to try to get away from you, with the possible exception of the cottonmouth which can be rather aggressive.

Look here: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDYQ9QEwAw

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Saw something cool with a snake a couple weeks back.

Me and the wife were hiking and heard a squirrel raising hell about something. It was scrapping with a red racer, well more like chasing and harassing the snake. The snake finally got away by going up a tree, that was really slick the way the snake shot up the tree. The squirrel tried following but the next thing we saw was the squirrel sailling out of the tree. He sat at the base of the tree bitchin' at the snake but he didn't try going up after the snake again and eventually got bored and left. The snake was still up in the tree when we left.

Never knew a squirrel would go after a snake like that, and it was big snake at least 3 ft or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Yesterday I saw the first Shiney Silver/Grey one. I was going out the Front Door, and saw the Tail only, as it slithered away
    Metallic? Sounds like some sort of government ground drone.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    There are also Pygmy Rattlesnakes in FL. Saw one when I lived there in the 80's.
    You are right on! I should have just said rattlesnake instead of narrowing it down to the Eastern Diamondback.
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop on my back!

No That is not it, I cant even find it on a Search, It was sold Silver/Grey and Shiney. what I saw of it. No Spots on it back.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Look's like the 2 that match what I saw is either the Worm Snake, or Smooth Earth Snake.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Look's like the 2 that match what I saw is either the Worm Snake, or Smooth Earth Snake.
    If so, you saw a monster version of them. The biggest I've ever seen of either one of them is about 1 foot long. Not sure if they can get as long as you describe. Their main food is earthworms and grubs.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

What ever I saw looked to be over a Foot Long. I dont know what it was, all I could do was tell my dad I saw it. he did not think it was a big Deal. I guess he has seen it before. Having Parents in their 80's I would be conserned about something Poisonous in their Yard. This is the first time I have seen a Silver Snake here in Florida.